My cacti collection

greenzone5

Great collection you have there, healthy looking plants too. I like the large one on the right, is it an Opuntia?

I've unsuccessfully kept cacti since I was a kid and almost always get them to turn brown from over watering. I'm hoping I'll have more success with CP's which I can water more freely in many cases.

Nice! What species is the one in the second photo, front row and second from left? (The little one)

It s aztekium ritteri,very nice one but very difficult to hold on own roots ,it s grow very slowly ,seedlings are only one mm big,therefor it s allmost allways grafted.It s take at least 10 years before you have a plant on own roots like this one if you can hold alive,

There is found another one ,abouth 10 years ago ,aztekium hintonii ,a bigger one .

Nice plants but some of them have match to lesser light or are keep growing in winter,give you some resting periode?If you want to flower this you may not give any water from october till mars,wintertemps arround 5°,you can even store this in dark in winter in boxes whithout ground.Al cactus can give flowers if she have the right treatment.

The 2 in the right are opuntia,the one above is grow in winter whit to lesser light,i think you watering your plants in winter in your housse?From some others i think you have this not so long,but if you stay give the same treatment she go grow the same way ,long and weak whit a small head,not strong and compact like it must,i hope this wil help a bit,

Cheers Will

Edited by will9

Thanks! I have thinked to buy plantlight above the table, theres now one lamp, but its not too good. Summer i take my plants to greenhouse. That opuntia is now little better, that was very weak. Now it get more light and when i buy this another light, i hope that it would be ok.

I have read that the resting period is not must, that the light will help, am i right?

I have read that the resting period is not must, that the light will help, am i right?

Very bad book,wrong information for cacti. :wall3:

The resting periode is a must if you want to grow nice and healty plants and if you want flowers ,whitout resting periode the plants stay in grow and there is no need to make fowers ,you can never give enough light in winter,not whit the strongest lamp,it s need sunlight els it s go grow smaller and longer,You can meaby place them in a frostfree room whitout water,then it not need any light ,but not a drup of water ,totally dry ,this is the biggest fault growers make ,think the plants can not whitout water,cactus can stay alive whitout water for a very long time.and wat is the easyest way ?You must not care or see to your plants for at least 5 months,a easier way to grow plants is not possibly and i am sure you got nice flowers next year,

Cheers Will

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On Monday, October 22, 2012 at 11:28 PM, will9 said:

Nice! What species is the one in the second photo, front row and second from left? (The little one)

It s aztekium ritteri,very nice one but very difficult to hold on own roots ,it s grow very slowly ,seedlings are only one mm big,therefor it s allmost allways grafted.It s take at least 10 years before you have a plant on own roots like this one if you can hold alive,

There is found another one ,abouth 10 years ago ,aztekium hintonii ,a bigger one .

I have some ritteri seedlings, over 2 years old, 3 -4 mm across :laugh:

Other aztekium grow quicker, ritteri is glacial in it's growth rate.