Last minute checks

Marcia

Just to make sure I've got everything sorted for winter.

My Dionaea are outside in a cold frame and are sitting in about 1cm of water.

Down here, we've already experienced our first day of frost but the sun sorted that one out.

When should I make sure that my plants are not standing in water? Some are already going dormant.

I would remove the water from the trays now? Maybe this is whats causing the excessive leaf die back. The rule I like to follow about watering VFTs is only sit them in water if its hot and sunny. Keep it just damp if its cold and cloudy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Marcia,

If you google "capillary matting" you'll find loads of options ranging from Sarah Raven's catalogue to ebay, I think the last lot I bought was from ebay which was a fair bit cheaper. My last one was a kind of cloth, i.e. cotton or wool based, prior to that I'd had a kind of nylon mesh affair. I'm no expert but I feel that the cloth kind may hold more water and have a greater wicking effect. Whether or not, being cloth based, it is also more prone to mould or algae growth I'm not too sure. You can buy it by the meter.

cheers

Gaz