floating pond islands

Hi little fishy

They are indeed a good idea for floating plants in a pool, one word of caution though, if you intend to put carnivorous plants in them do not put them in a pool that contains fish, or derives nutrients from plant matter, surropunding soils etc as this will eventually kill your plants.

If you have a total disolved solids (TDS) meter, test the water first to see what range it is (parts per million). If it is 50 or less this is deemed to be OK, although there are those who say that this is too high and will damage your plants, I've never tried keeping plants in that high a p.p.m so cannot comment directly. But I do know that much higher than that and damage will start ocuring, normally manifesting itself as twisted distorted pitchers and eventual death. You should also check that the water is acidic, not all pools are.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Steve

I know that most people keep goldfish and kois in their ponds and then your adviceis correct steve. But in my ponds i keep small species of fish like tanichthys and they do thrive happy with the plants and low pH level.

• Like 1