easy aquatic utricularia

naz

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help with some advice. I am interested in growing some aquatic utricularia's and wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations on easy varieties for begginers. I have never grown them before, so am a complete novice. I have read U.Gibba is an easy variety, is it specific as to its ph levels or is it able to tolerate different water quality? I have never seen any utricularias available at any of the garden centres which i frequent. Could anyone tell me where they might be readily available in the uk? Thankyou for your help.

U. gibba is really the easiest species to start with. I use a small cup with some peat on bottom and a small plant of Carex (C. nigra i think it is, but you can use any swamp Carex or Cyperus species you can get...), where U. gibba grows happily. When i forget to keep the water level, it can survive with no problems on a wet peat for a very long time. The Carex plant is not that important, but i think it helps to keep the water environment more stable (taking out the redundant nutrient) and its nicer for me :-)

If growing in warm conditions, you might want to consider u. graminifolia too. This will need a substarte to grow in, but can be completely submerged. If you allow parts of it to emerge from the water then it might flower for you too.

Here's a thread of mine from a while back: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32161

Hi thanks for sharing some information with me guys. I think im going to give u.gibba a try and the one which mobile has mentioned. I've just got to try sourcing some now. Does anyone know where i might be able to purchase some from, as i have never seen any type of utricularia for sale at the garden centres which i frequent. Thanks alot to everyone who helped with giving me information, its much appreciated.

I've just got to try sourcing some now. Does anyone know where i might be able to purchase some from, as i have never seen any type of utricularia for sale at the garden centres which i frequent.

I've seen U. graminifolia for sale at aquarium/pet stores. You'll probably also find it at some aquarium (or carnivorous plant) webshops.
  • Like 1