Sign in to follow this  
James Stevens

Venosa v montana?

Hi,

I bought this purp. venosa at my local garden centre at the end of last year when they were selling off old stock cheap and it looked very sick;

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=5760

it seems to me to fit McPherson's description of var. montana, what does anyone else think?

James

We'd need to see the whole plant. Venosa can occasionally grow triangular-esque hoods.

I'd be astounded to see a plant that's quite rare in cultivation in a garden centre.

I don't have any particular reason for thinking it is montana, only that McPherson describes the lid as being curved in on itseldf as this one does, but I don't know what degree of curvature it is possible for a plant to have and still be considered "typical"!

It appears to be S. rosea. Please note the venation.

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=5759

Also, this is just S. purpurea purpurea. I have not been able to find any sort of S. purpurea venosa introgression in New Jersey, even plants from Delaware appear to be pure S. purpurea purpurea.

Edited by Dave Evans

I just did an internet search for that plant code and it clearly states that it is a hybrid. It probably is S. rosea * S. purpurea; since the seller seems to be under the impression one can mix two different species and just call the resulting progeny "S. purpurea intra-specific hybrid".

Also, light pink is just one of the colors of the flowers of S. rosea--it has way more variations than S. purpurea venosa! It has about the same amount of variation as does S. purpurea purpurea.

Edited by Dave Evans