Sarracenia deformity

Stu

Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding a couple of my Sarracenia pitchers.

I have noticed a kind of deformity on the lip of some pitchers where it seems it hasn't opened out/rolled over properly when growing.

The photo below shows an example on an S. × moorei.

gallery_1821_537_88504.jpg

It has also happened a lot on my couple of S. oreophila clones.

My question is what is/has caused this? Is it stress due to division at the start of this year and will recover next year or is it something else, such as pest damage?

Thanks in advance.

Some clones of sarracenia just do that,it must be genetic.They always seem to grow like it no matter what you do.

One of the black tube alatas does this alot (A27) I think.

I personally would compost them.I have used the above mentioned alata as a pollen donor and it does pass this trait on to a large proportion of the offspring(which i binned ruthlessly) the rest (4) turned out o.k

ada

In addition to genetics, cold temperatures during the development of the pitcher can sometimes cause this as well, especially if the developing pitcher is growing fast, and then all the sudden there is a big drop in temperatures.

• Like 1

Some clones of sarracenia just do that,it must be genetic.They always seem to grow like it no matter what you do.

One of the black tube alatas does this alot (A27) I think.

I personally would compost them.I have used the above mentioned alata as a pollen donor and it does pass this trait on to a large proportion of the offspring(which i binned ruthlessly) the rest (4) turned out o.k

ada

That's not the best news if that is indeed the case here! Last year this was a really lovely specimen:

gallery_1821_537_251064.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I'll hang onto it and give it the best care in the hope that it'll recover to full splendour next year.

Hi Stu, I should have added to my post,sometimes the stress of dividing and repotting can bring it on,if it is "in" the plants genes.

Your first picture looks like a smaller plant,have you divided/repotted it?

If this is the case,it should grow normally when resettled next year.But it will probably do it everytime you divide it.

ada

• Like 1

Hi Stu, I should have added to my post,sometimes the stress of dividing and repotting can bring it on,if it is "in" the plants genes.

Your first picture looks like a smaller plant,have you divided/repotted it?

If this is the case,it should grow normally when resettled next year.But it will probably do it everytime you divide it.

ada

Ah thanks for the confirmation.

That makes sense - I received it potted (in April 2011) from my friend and had grown well last year. During the winter I did divide it as the rhizome was large and branched into two. I now have the two plants plus another separate rooted blind rhizome cutting.

All three pots sprouted well this year, but yes, the two main plants are producing slightly shorter and much smaller/thinner pitchers than previously, due to the stress of division.

Also, I should have mentioned that both the two plants have flowered this year and I have set seed with them - further sapping their energy!

I'm pleased that it's not some sort of pest damage and hopefully the plants will fully recover next year (I will not be dividing/repotting them over this winter).

Incidentally, this Moorei looks great. What is it?

Hi KoShiatar, this is a clone I received from my friend and it did not come with any specific history data I'm afraid.

As × moorei is the blanket term for a hybrid between S. flava and S. leucophylla, there can and has been many different (sometimes spectacular) hybrids formed.