New pinguicula described

fischermans

Nice article, Alexander. Thanks for sharing this info in the forum.

Note: there is a carnivorous plant in Siberia called P. algida. Do you have any information about her?

Best regards,

Rodrigo

Aymeric - already thanked by PM for help, and now i am officially on the forum: thank you very much.

Raci - thanks for the tip, but as said above already got the information about the P. algida.

Best regards

Rodrigo

What a fascinating species P.habilii is - as is P.algida! :) I'd never seen pics of the latter, it's amazing how the flowers seem to dangle like bells below the sepals. Also, looking at the herbarium specimen below, you can see that some flower scape bear two flowers, like with P.ramosa!

hrb1092.jpg

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

On 14/09/2012 at 7:56 AM, Fernando Rivadavia said:
Also, looking at the herbarium specimen below, you can see that some flower scape bear two flowers, like with P.ramosa

I do not fully agree with that. It seems that they are 2 different phenomena responsible of this in Pinguicula algida and ramosa.

In P. algida, it seems to come from the fusion of 2 (sometimes 3) flower scapes. In this picture: http://byrranga.ru/lentibulariaceae/pinguicula_algida/p05.htm

you can see how stronger are the scapes bearing 2 flowers. This also appears on Pinguicula vulgaris for example that can bear up to 9 nine flowers (the maximum I could see).

In P. ramosa, it is a unique scape bearing 2 flowers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pinguicula_ramosa_at_Koushinsou_2.jpg

Maybe you already know this publication:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/j8341035217634k7/

It deals with the fact that Pinguicula inflorescence is in fact a sessile terminal umbel. In P. ramosa, it seems that there is a mutation leading to a non-sessile terminal umbel. This mutation was also known in Pinguicula vulgaris, bearing up to 8 flowers (those stations are now lost, we only have some herbarium specimens now).

Edited by kisscool_38
  • Like 1

Hello Aymeric,

I think you are right, that leftmost flower scape in that first picture does seem to be two fused scapes. Strange though that it seems to be so frequent in this species, right?

Please tell us more about these bizarre multi-flowered P.vulgaris, I've never heard of this before!

Thanks,

Fernando Rivadavia

Hello Fernando,

On 15/09/2012 at 7:22 AM, Fernando Rivadavia said:
I think you are right, that leftmost flower scape in that first picture does seem to be two fused scapes. Strange though that it seems to be so frequent in this species, right?

I think this is biased by the very few available pictures of this species. In some locations, many plants of Pinguicula vulgaris can have fused scapes, but those sites are rare.

On 15/09/2012 at 7:22 AM, Fernando Rivadavia said:
Please tell us more about these bizarre multi-flowered P.vulgaris, I've never heard of this before!

In this topic I made a while ago:

You will find a picture of fused flowers. And also a picture of a scape bearing a bract. Considering the publication cited before, I would now say that this one is a non-sessile umbel with a single pseudo-terminal flower. The bract and the bending of the scape represent where all the flowers should fit on the common scape (although there is a single flower here).

And here is a picture of the specimen I was talking about:

It bears 8 flowers on a single scape. You can see a bract where all peduncles are joining (it can be better seen on other specimens). But not all specimens are affected by this, and some plants also bear "normal" sessile umbels and mutant non sessile umbel on the same rosette of leaves.

Regards

Edited by kisscool_38

• 2 weeks later...