Sign in to follow this  
Peatmoss

Some North American Drosera and Sarracenia in the wild!

Hello from the Colonies! :hi:

I've been actively searching for bogs with Drosera and Sarracenia for a while now, and I have found a couple nice locations... Here is the sum of my work! Just the common Northern stuff, mostly in Canada, but one location in the USA.

First location, is a boardwalk with D. rotundifolia along it, very nice plants. The larger ones have odd upright growth in the middle of summer, unlike the other rotundifolia I've seen... This is a typical Sphagnum bog, with a bunch of different moss species I can't identify! We also get some nice Pink Slipper Orchids here during late spring. Quite a beautiful vista!

assortedphotos022.jpg

assortedphotos019.jpg

assortedphotos018.jpg

assortedphotos025.jpg

A yellow flowered Utricularia at the same location. I have no idea what species it is, but they are quite nice when multitudes of them flower in the spring!

assortedphotos016.jpg

Second location, is along a small highway. Some really beautiful D. intermedia, growing out of logs, and pure peat.

toweringoaks016.jpg

toweringoaks018.jpg

toweringoaks019.jpg

Third location, is a floating bog in a beaver pond. These occur all over the place in the Canadian Shield, can't walk more than a few kilometres without stumbling into one. These are some nice big D. rotundifolia:

toweringoaks025.jpg

toweringoaks026.jpg

toweringoaks007.jpg

And last but not least, this is a location that is totally flooded with S. purpurea. The bog has human origins (created by logging, and a natural depression in the ground became the bog) and the purpurea were transplanted to the area in the 1950s by the local botanical society. The plant is native to the area anyways, and the location is quite striking.

Pittsburgh151.jpg

Pittsburgh136.jpg

Pittsburgh117.jpg

Pittsburgh113.jpg

Pittsburgh111.jpg

More wide angle shots from this year:

DSC_0310.jpg

DSC_0307.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0276.jpg

Beautiful!

DSC_0277.jpg

I'll leave it at that! Tell the queen I said hello!

Gabriel :hi:

Last picture is so incredible! It looks so beautiful...maybe one day when I go visit Canda I'll go to that place =)