Are these the same?

Jonathan F.

• 1 year later...

these both look like nepenthes sanguinea to me

Well, it is there, but these seem to favor their N. ramispina parent... There are some sanguinea/ramispina hybrids which are labeled as just "N. sanguinea" for some reason which might be why you're thinking it is sanguinea. They probably mixed up the plants when small, as they can be nearly identical to the pure species (both have the same leaf shape but usually different color).

I know, but people are still confused about how to ID Nepenthes... The main issue at the heart of this is the "species" plants on the ramispina/sanguinea side isn't named. The name (perhaps) should read like this, "N. ramispina/sanguinea X N. ventricosa". The plants have formed into hybrid swarms and some locations didn't even have pure species left before being developed. The hybrids almost always used to get labeled as one of the parent species, usually the one it favors but not always. For example, BE-3162 appears to have ramispina influence even though the location has been reviewed several times and N. ramispina has never been found there. But we can still see its genes in this photo of what is being sold as pure "sanguinea" http://www.borneoexo...4-1 (0259).jpg

Edited by Dave Evans

Very much so... If there was a natural nep hybrid that really needs a name, well this is it. I don't think it being a "hybrid" is an issue with regards to the value of the plant. Or I guess the hybrids can be "pesky" as they make ID'ing species harder in the first place as you're always left to wonder when looking at a natural system no one is very familiar with, which is the chicken and which is the egg? Am I looking at natural variation, or a hybrid swarm? With Nepenthes, they form hybrid swarms rather rarely, but do frequently hybridize whenever different species overlap. This plant, ramispina x sanguinea, actually forms stands of multiple individuals that continue breeding almost like a species, thus the need to a provide this natural entity a botanical name.

Edited by Dave Evans
  • Like 1

cheers Dave ,i had my suspicions ,shouldn't BE change the description ,should i now label it as a hybrid and if so how do you label it if you don't know which was the seed parent,thanks again for your help,oh after rereading your post you think it should have its own natural hybrid name?

Edited by corky

Yes, at the location there aren't any N. ramispina, but it does still seem present in hybrids like the plant you're growing. Since everyone just keep putting the hybrids under the names N. sanguinea or N. ramispina and it hasn't seemed to cross anyone's mind to actually name this plant... Which seems rather odd to me.