I have just put up a polycarbonate greenhouse (8 x 6). Base is drilled into concrete floor, frame was originally just sitting unsecured on the base. In the morning, I woke to find the whole frame on its side, fallen off the base.

I wondered if it was cats jumping onto it that caused it to topple off. There was not been much wind lately and the garden is in a pretty sheltered area.

Now that the frame has been put back up, and firmly drilled onto the base, I am hoping there will be no problems. Does anybody else encounter cat problems though, and what are the best ways to discourage them from jumping and climbing?

I have a spray bottle, every time my cats go into my greenhouse I give them a little blast. It seems to work well, they don't forget.

If that fails, a gunshot to the head works :triniti::sarcastic_hand:

A few years ago I put a greenhouse tent near a fence, which offered it some shelter from the wind. The next day there were tears in the top of it, for which I couldn't undersand where they came from. The following days more and more tears appeared. I eventually found out that they were being caused by cats using the greenhouse to jump over the fence.

I had a poly-tunnel on an allotments some years ago and a local cat would attack the flies the other side of the polythene resulting in many perforations then tears and eventually two huge holes where he had chewed through the polythene.

Bloody cats.

Aww terrible cats!! :ireful2:

Does anything work in discouraging them though? I have heard mixed things about those anti-cat devices that are meant to emit a sound only cats can hear. Are they worth it? I used to put lemon skins in the garden ... that didn't seem to work. I've also seen them walking happily all over those strips of spikes that you put along tops of fences. Any good ideas from anyone else?

I have a miniature bog in my garden. When I first constructed it, everyday a cat would dig in it... to use it as a bog! I tried various methods, including citrus and pushing in sticks to make it hard for the cat to manoeuvre through, but it'd always find a gap. Eventually I bought an electronics cat scarer, the sort that makes a noise, and within a few days there were no more cat visits to my bog. I have however read about others who have tried these scarers and they were unsuccessful, so I think it depends on the individual cat.

Does anything work in discouraging them though? I have heard mixed things about those anti-cat devices that are meant to emit a sound only cats can hear. Are they worth it? I used to put lemon skins in the garden ... that didn't seem to work. I've also seen them walking happily all over those strips of spikes that you put along tops of fences. Any good ideas from anyone else?

When I was a lad, my dad would leave a bowl of ammonia at the bottom of the garden to deter cats from the vicinity. He said it was effective, but it didn't half reek.

• 3 weeks later...

We used to have one of the electronic devices at our last house, it was battery powered and some days I saw cats stood right next it, one even peeing on it! My mate had a mains electric version and he swore it worked perfectly so perhaps, as mobile says, it depends on the cat or perhaps it's power related.

We still have a problem at our new house and intend to try one of these devices again but we're going to go for the mains powered this time.

As for other solutions, we've tried lots. Prickly fence spikes pigeon deterrent spikes, smelly liquids, smelly pellets, citrus fruit skins, pop bottles full of water, you name it.... None seem to be fully effective although the pigeon deterrent spikes seem better than prickly fence strips for keeping them off fences. I remember the citronella pellets were pretty useless as the smell soon faded but another smelly called Renadine, if memory serves me right, was a bit better, you put it on an rag in a plastic container and it smells pretty much like creosote.

Good luck

Gaz

I've found the most effective cat deterrent is a dog! Mine chase them, and they remember! The last one that dared to come in our garden spent 3 days in a gum tree...