USD $10,000 for a N. Villosa specimen sized plant

I have seen a load on the Internet and FloraFauna offers are not something that could surprise me. Although my eyebrow went up a little. What I saw on that site was more like a joke to me, simply unrealistic, or an offer to mega rich people. Michael, you live in a dream world, you should realize that already.

I was really surprised when I started reading this topic. It was something I hoped not to see any more. A group attacked one person. It does not matter if Michael Li is deluded or not, if he is a schemer or not. It is about that one person stands small (no) chance against so large group like this forum. It does not matter if one is right or not, one will be overwhelmed by others. He cannot win with all of you and you started the fight. Beside, does anyone of you intends to buy anything from him? I don't think so... Even if what he writes about his plants were true, even in some distant parallel reality I would never buy a plant from him, because I could not afford it. That is not all, even if I could afford it, I would not buy it, because I am not that vain to spend that much money on any plant. No matter how unique and rare it was or how much money I had. So what is this all about? You wanted to laugh at him, humiliate in public? Have he cheated anyone and this is a warning or what? I had a different feeling reading this topic - online, group aggression. "He is different, so why not bully him." Adult people... I have already seen such things, so give the guy a break... Close the topic. It lost its good taste long time ago.

Oh... one more thing. People buy for higher prices so called "art" that is often less worth than the plants FloraFauna offers and that is all okay.

I dont think anyone on here is "bullying" or "humiliating" him Cephalotus. You ask if he has cheated anyone etc etc, well in my opinion yes I think he has - but thats just MY opinion. And I';m not sure where comparing carnivorous plants to "Art" is very useful.

On-line group aggression is a ridiculous statement to come out with, this forum is full of knowledgeable people with the best intentions of helping eachother out wherever possible. However, when someone as blatantly greedy and ridiculous as this supplier is comes along and tries to con us, then it is inevitable that members are quite rightly going to have their say!

Edited by Carnivine
  • Like 2

Here,here.

We were asked at the start of this topic WHAT WE THOUGHT,and we have answered,

Everyone is thinking the same and said so,if you don't like what you read you are entitled to your say too,

but on-line bullying? really!

Michael had his say,and was man enough to reply,if you don't like the responses don't read them or turn off.

Don't accuse us of group aggression,it was just an open discussion between serious cp growers,not something to run off and tell the teacher about.

ada

• Like 4

I started this thread because I know Michael is a very talented individual, and just like any of our talented growers, I see a lot of potential in him. My hope was that he'd see the current pricing on his website does not correlate with current market demand, regardless of how rare each clone is perceived. I think his idea to get people together and start an "amazon.com" for CP's is brilliant and could bring some serious momentum to the CP world. We definitely need more people who think like this in our small yet expanding, wold-wide community. However, the pricing on his website, regardless of what country you are from, is a great obstacle that no CP seller wants to be associated with.

The CPUK has some of the brightest and most knowledgeable CP folks on this planet, and for this reason, I reached out to you all to discuss the issue. Thank you to all of you who contributed your honest opinion in a non-hostile manner, and if you'd like to further add to this thread, please do so in a friendly manner.

I have seen a load on the Internet and FloraFauna offers are not something that could surprise me. Although my eyebrow went up a little. What I saw on that site was more like a joke to me, simply unrealistic, or an offer to mega rich people. Michael, you live in a dream world, you should realize that already.

I was really surprised when I started reading this topic. It was something I hoped not to see any more. A group attacked one person. It does not matter if Michael Li is deluded or not, if he is a schemer or not. It is about that one person stands small (no) chance against so large group like this forum. It does not matter if one is right or not, one will be overwhelmed by others. He cannot win with all of you and you started the fight. Beside, does anyone of you intends to buy anything from him? I don't think so... Even if what he writes about his plants were true, even in some distant parallel reality I would never buy a plant from him, because I could not afford it. That is not all, even if I could afford it, I would not buy it, because I am not that vain to spend that much money on any plant. No matter how unique and rare it was or how much money I had. So what is this all about? You wanted to laugh at him, humiliate in public? Have he cheated anyone and this is a warning or what? I had a different feeling reading this topic - online, group aggression. "He is different, so why not bully him." Adult people... I have already seen such things, so give the guy a break... Close the topic. It lost its good taste long time ago.

Oh... one more thing. People buy for higher prices so called "art" that is often less worth than the plants FloraFauna offers and that is all okay.

He's a scammer spreading false information about reputable businesses and deserves every criticism for doing so... The prices are one thing, the lies and sales tactics are another and should be stamped out immediately.

• Like 1

My name is Michael Li, and I am the owner of FloraFauna.com.

I know that some of you have been wondering about the pricing of certain products on the site-- and that's fine. A critical part of the entire horticulture industry, as I'm sure you are all aware, is education. I have been collecting, growing, and breeding some of the rarest horticulture and reptiles in the world since I was 7 years old, and I feel that education is an absolutely paramount piece of the future of the industry.

I was unable to find anything on th site regarding CP education. Perhaps is an education in how scam the ignorant.

Sell plants on this prices ,i think if i must sell one for that price i not feel myself very good,plants have there price world wide ,asking so match more is criminal.On the other hand ,if he sell one plant then he have sell more in ones then honest hobbyists sell in there whole live.(10,000 Dollar,something like 6000 Euro ,is for some people 5 months hard work , for one plant)If i understand this right?

However how rare plants are it s match to match money he ask ,for me it s hustling people that not know anything of the prices and it s not good for the hobby or make friends at all,so Michael Li,i hope you go down your pricing a lot to more reasonable prices,

Cheers Will

It seems that Michael consider his business as art? For me of course these prices are unreal. For 10000$ I could buy all of the rarest Nepenthes available - and some of them from seed too.

And by the way Michael I don't understand why you are so against BE? You can't compare yourself to them. This is a company, a business with thousands or even milions of plants and you are a hobbyst. There is lots of other companies not only BE.

And it is possible to buy rare seedgrown plants in Europe for less than 200Eur.

I think we should not argue anymore. Let Michael have his business in peace.

• 2 months later...

This is making me laugh so hard, I'm going to break something inside!

Michael, living in NY has given you a "speculator's point of view". Your prices are ridiculous, trying to defend them is more so. But of course, you're probably paying 2,500/per month for your flat so at least we know where some of the money goes...

Keep in mind folks, we've only been running CP origanizations for years and years, and now discuss them online. Given that tiny bit of interest we've shown over the years, Michael just felt a need to educate us. Laughing some more now. :)

BTW, Michael, ever hear of a "speculator's bubble"? That is what happens when speculator spend too much time focusing on "buying out" their fellow speculators. It is actually quite stupid, but it keeps on happening. People look at their plants, but only see $$$.

Hi,

this website is incredible,the man too, it's not because you sell a plant some thousands dolalrs that the quality is better.

As you said,if you find sme stupid persons to buy it congratulations,but i dont think so.

At least,dont say the plants of others collectors are less good than yours,cause honestly,this forum has the best collectors,so buy some plants to some of the best here,you 'll see that you can get a perfect dionaea for some euros! ;)

cheers

I believe this sort of "education" is of the illegal sort, btw. What is a "trust"? That is when different companies all decide as one, they aren't charging enough for their products and raise the prices together so the costumers cannot find a better deal anywhere.

Ebay is close, but they sell everything and there is no trust as buyers can find very good deals on Ebay. This is a plant shop and you're that much closer to having set up a "trust" when you're telling folks they need to raise their prices and they are also selling their plants through your website. The business aspect is fine. It is the "price trust" you are trying to set up that is turning everyone against you.

Edited by Dave Evans

• 4 years later...
On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 0:50 AM, Mujinamo said:

I just stumbled onto this thread today but what a surprise to find that the site is still up!

Given how little it costs to run a web site, he only has to make one sale and he's covered for decades.

Assuming he even makes one sale of course. I can't imagine how anyone would be stupid enough to pay that much for a plant without seeing it in person, and verifying that it was indeed the ultra-rare specimen that he claims. Even then, I can't imagine anyone paying that much for a VFT, but you never know...