Why I love carnivorous plants part 2

H20SmooreiMarstonClone.jpg

H20. S moorei, ‘Marston Clone c.v’.

Not to be confused with Marston Select. This one reminds me a bit of S ‘Leah Wilkerson’.

H01DanielRud-1.jpg

H01. S moorei ‘Daniel Rudd’ c.v. (MKH263)

The original, one and only S moorei ‘Daniel Rudd’. After years of looking it turned up on the CPUK forum.

H02LyndaButt.jpg

H20. S moorei ‘Lynda Butt’ c.v.

Not much to say really, a reliable, tall grower. Every collector should have one!

H04SexcellensLochness.jpg

H04 S excellens ‘Lochness’ c.v.

Another plant that was thought to have been lost, then they all come out of the woodwork. Well done Mr Slack.

H08SBloodSweatandtears.jpg

H08. S ‘Blood, Sweat and Tears’ c.v.

Phil Wilson’s plant, as described in Planta Carnivora, vol 33, no 2, Autumn 2011.

H11SmooreiAdrianSlacH113MK.jpg

H11. S moorei ‘Adrian Slack’ c.v. (H113MK

Never grows that well for me, but here it is.

H12SmooreiLeahWilkersonH112MK.jpg

H12. S moorei ‘Leah Wilkerson’ c.v.

Will have to wait and see how it grows for me before I can pass judgement. I’m sure it’ll be great though.

H14Scamisole.jpg

H14. S x “Camisole”.

Don’t know if this is registered cultivar yet, but it came from Derek Clavel-Bate.

H16ScatesbaeiApNF-1.jpg

H16. S catesbaei, pink flower, red pitchers. Apalachicola National State Forest.

Great plant, reliable to colour up well and always a strong grower.

H17SleucoxrubrasspjonesiiGreen-1.jpg

H17. S leucophylla x S rubra ssp jonesii, Green. Another antho free plant.

H22SflavaornataLidless-1.jpg

H22. S flava var ornata “lidless”.

I feel that same way about this plant that I do about Wacky Traps VFT. Not worth the bother really.

H23oreoHVxminorxpurp-1.jpg

H23. S oreophila x (minor x purpurea).

This photo doesn’t really do the plant justice.

H26JennyHelen-1.jpg

H26. S x “Jenny Helen”.

Alistair Pearce’s from SWCP cross. Maybe deserves cultivar status?

Greenhousecentral.jpg

And this is where all the plants are located. Full isn’t it! That’s why I’m planning on having a major clear out soon. Many plants will be offered for sale. I’ll get the list finished and will send it out when done.

And that ladies and gentlemen is your lot (for today at least). Please let me know what you think, but again, I’m not that great with a camera.

Cheers

Alex.

• Like 1

Nice Alexa, been really enjoying your photos!

"Not worth the bother?!" Really?

I think the lidless flava is pretty amazing (ignore the leuco trap in the background):

IMG_8478.jpg

Edited by meizwang

Nice photos Alex.

I agree the 'Marston Clone' is great grower. Throws up loads of good sized pitchers. I find 'Adrian Slack' a slow grower as well, but it does look good it the right conditions. 'Leah Wilkerson' I find is a fast and strong grower, so I'm surprised it's so rare. As for that ornata 'lidless' the less said the better I'm afraid. Not for me, that one.

Has the "Jenny Helen" got any willisii in it?

It's good to see someone with a greenhouse more stuffed than mine!

Regards,

Thanks for the comments Martin, do you get the feeling that you're being swamped too then?

I would agree with you on most points, lidless accepted of course. I can honestly say that I can’t remember ever seeing an S x willisii so have no idea about “Jenny Helen”. As far as I can remember, Alistair doesn’t know the parentage either, I’m not sure how the exact story goes, but I believe that he had some seed from somewhere and it just came up! He named it after his wife, the old romantic! Maybe Alistair can enlighten us?

Regards

Alex

Thanks for the comments Martin, do you get the feeling that you're being swamped too then?

Absolutely! I'm going to have to do some rationalisation over the winter, and maybe sell on some surplus plants. Unfortunately I've not got room in the garden for another greenhouse.

I would agree with you on most points, lidless accepted of course. I can honestly say that I can’t remember ever seeing an S x willisii so have no idea about “Jenny Helen”. As far as I can remember, Alistair doesn’t know the parentage either, I’m not sure how the exact story goes, but I believe that he had some seed from somewhere and it just came up! He named it after his wife, the old romantic! Maybe Alistair can enlighten us?

Regards

Alex

It appears there is a bit of a mix-up about x willisii and most people have a willisii x leuco plant. I've only got a willisii x minor var okefenokeensis but have no idea which willisii is the parent. As it came from P&J Plants it's most likely from the leuco cross which Slack got from Australia (apparently). Still a nice plant, though.

I think the lidless plant is the marmite of the Sarracenia world. You either love it or hate it! I like marmite too... :-) I had two completely separate clones of this type of plant. One originated from a batch of seeds (I think it was rubra ssp jonesii x flava but don't quote me on that one). This plant produced heavily veined pitchers but they never formed properly the pitcher being flattened. I think I got the clone pictured from Graham Sadd, many years ago. As I recall, this was also a chance seedling so something must have been in the air around then.

Alex - why have you put a c.v. after my cultivar name? It's not needed. The use of single inverted commas indicates that this is a published and registered cultivar. This plant was from a batch of seed custom ordered from Phil Sheridan. The parentage is S. flava var atropurpurea x S. rubra ssp jonesii. I selected this clone because it gets so dark and the cultivar names specifically refers to the nectar drops that form in the throat of the pitcher - almost like tears!

The S oreophila x (minor x purpurea) hybrid was one of three plants that were the first I bought from Alan Hindle - many many years ago. I agree that it's a much better plant than it looks in the picture. Take a better photo next time Alex!

And finally that catesbaei which is a stunning plant - and I'm not exactly mad on hybrids either! The purpurea parent is S. purpurea ssp venosa var burkii, hence the pink flowers in the hybrid. It's a strong grower but divides incredibly slowly so if you want a piece I'd get your advance orders in with Alex now...

Phil

Alex - why have you put a c.v. after my cultivar name? It's not needed. The use of single inverted commas indicates that this is a published and registered cultivar. This plant was from a batch of seed custom ordered from Phil Sheridan. The parentage is S. flava var atropurpurea x S. rubra ssp jonesii. I selected this clone because it gets so dark and the cultivar names specifically refers to the nectar drops that form in the throat of the pitcher - almost like tears!

Phil

I'm still not overly sure regardingt the correct technical wording of cultivars, non registered but plants with "names". But I agree with your point, they are redundant.

Cheers

Alex.

Great to see a greenhouse just like mine,Alex. Organised chaos i call it.

Some nice plants in there.

Phil, I think the best thing about the lidless flava is the name you gave it. The marmite plant. made me laugh.I love marmite,but the flava should be composted.

ada

Phil, I think the best thing about the lidless flava is the name you gave it. The marmite plant. made me laugh.I love marmite,but the flava should be composted.

ada

Composted?! haha Lidless is one of my favorites...we have to admit that Sarracenias are very strange looking compared to other plants...this is just the icing on the cake!