Why I love carnivorous plants part 1

For the last couple of days I’ve been in the greenhouse rewriting the grow list, but this afternoon I abandoned the laptop and picked up the camera. Now before you look at the photos, please note that I’m no photographer and only have a small point and shoot job, please don’t judge too harshly. These are just some plants that made me smile whilst I was working round them., some are more rare than others, but I took these photos only because I liked them. Enjoy!

16Zarndosfirstleuco.jpg

L16. S Leucophylla “Zarndo’s first Plant".

L16 was one of the first plants I ever brought. I was at the Garden Show at the Bath and West Show Ground and visited P&J Plants, I brought that fake S ‘Judy’ thing, this and a couple of others, I forget which. I still have this and the fake Judy.

A01SalataredblacktubeWhitesCrossingMI.jpg

A01. S alata, red/black tube, Whites Crossing MI.

When I saw Phil Wilson’s photo on the cover of the 2000 CPS journal, I knew I had to track down a black plant. This plant came from the same location, but just doesn’t get black! I’ve never seen a plant go much darker though.

A05BlackTubeStoneCo.jpg

A05. S alata, black tube, Stone Co, MI (A58MK)

Another one of the ‘black tube’ plants. We don’t get the sun/heat to get the best out of these plants here in the UK, but I love the nectar drops around the mouth.

A09SalataWashingtonAlabama.jpg

A09 S alata, Washington Al. Anthocyanin free.

This is a new edition to the collection (thanks Nigel), I love antho free plants (as you’ll see later).

Salataunknown-1.jpg

Unknown S alata.

Have to get this I.D’d. Any idea Phil?

M01Sminoranthocyaninfree-1.jpg

M01. S minor, anthocyanin free, clone #1

I had four of these clones, no1 was the best by miles.

M04NearWacamoreRiverBrunswick-1.jpg

M04. S minor, typical, Nr Wacamaw River, Brunswick.

S minors are my favourite I have decided! Sadly the site that this plant came from no longer exists, and I believe there are no more minors left in that state?

M06SminorvarOkeefenokeegiant-1.jpg

M06. S minor, Okee Giant, Okeefenokee Swamp.

This plant, although I’ve only photographed one pitcher, sends up big clumps.

Unknownminor-1.jpg

Unknown S minor.

Just a great plant, possibly from the Santee Coastal Reserve, S.C.

ChrisHeathClone.jpg

S flava, Chris Heath Clone.

This plant has never got this red for me before, I was surprised by the colouration this year.

UnknownSflava-1.jpg

Unknown S flava, though the shape could indicate something else in there somewhere! Any ideas?

SflavavarrubripurpletubeHolleyFlMKF57-1.jpg

S flava, rubricorpora, purple tube, Holley, FL. (F57 MK).

This is a new plant for me this year, and for one that has been repotted this year, its looking stunning. Is this not an atropurpurea Mike?

L12SleucophyllaredtubePerdidoAl.jpg

L12. S leucophylla, red tube, Perdido, AL. (L07 PW)

Give this one a few years and its going to be stunning. I divided all my leuco’s this year so I’m not going to see the best from them for a while.

L13SleucophyllaYellowFlowerCitronelleAl.jpg

L13. S leucophylla, yellow flower, Citronelle, AL. (L09 PW)

L14GarysClone.jpg

L14. S leucophylla, Gary’s Clone.

From Ian and Dianne Salter. Its looking good, but I’ll give it a few years. Very nice.

L14GarysClonewithDrotundafolia-1.jpg

D routndafolia. I had a few seeds that I sprinkled on the peat of S leucophylla, Marston Clone. Guess it worked!

• Like 1

I thought the unknown flava might be the old Slack cross, flava red tube x alata red lid but having looked at the pic on my computer instead of my phone I'm not so sure. I think it might be a plant from a cross I made of two of my best var atropurpurea clones from the Blackwater State forest. The seedlings were quite varied with some coming up lightly veined and others solid red and lots of variation in between.

How tall does the alata get Alex? I had a whole load of seedlings from the White's Crossing site in Mississippi where the plants are incredibly varied ranging from all green through red lid and various forms of heavy vein, red tube and black tube all with pubescent and glabrous forms.So that's the most likely candidate though without any specific location data it's just another pubescent red tube unfortunately!

Generally the only way to get full colour in these plants is to move to somewhere that gets some sun. Not here - not this year at least! I've never seen a true black tube alata though some get very close (in Mike's greenhouse for instance). And that purple tube flava from Holley is about as good as I've ever seen it.

Phil

There are two alata's where the tags are degraded, both of them grow tall and slender. We'll have to go through the grow list together and pick it out.

I'm pleased that these photo's are going down so well.

Alex:)

• 11 months later...

Alexa just found this thread, just love your plants especially the minors, I have trouble getting these to grow for me especially this year and wondered if you had any tips or advice on general cultivation for these lovely plants. Do they prefer shade, wet or little drier, They spent last winter outside and have only just started to grow, so I have bought some inside my greenhouse but they dont seem to like that either. Any advice would be appreciated as I dont think they will survive this winter.

Thanks for any advice

Hi Trish

Thanks for the comments. As Alexis said, they like it a little warmer and last year was a harsh winter. Can I ask why your minors were out of the greenhouse? All my Sarracenia grow under glass, apart from one or two in a barrell. Leave them to grow in the greenhouse and they'll be fine.

Regards

Alex.

Hi, Unfortunately its the old story, my greenhouse isnt big enough (must stop buying plants) there fore I put some outside in a cold frame, but I didnt put the top on so the rain could get in, they all survived but took a long time to take off this spring. But the Minors have been particularly slow and what pitchers there are, have been very small and spindly and as I love them so much and the ones in the photos were so strong and healthy, thought perhaps I could get some help. Would hate to lose them, bought them years ago from PJ Plants, before they moved. Thanks for the tips will keep them in the greenhouse this winter.