D.I.Y Greenhouse

So after a very miserable start to our summer and several incidents to my plants caused by heavy wind/rain/cats/birds you name it i decided i needed some shelter for my plants.

Much as i'd love to own the amazing constructions done already by Gareth and Dicon on here, I have neither the skill, funds or space, in fact i was limited to a small uneven space between an existing shed and the fence at the end of garden, as so

IMG_0058.jpg

I wasn't sure what to use as i didn't want glass as i have a 10 yr old and several footballs!, i'm not keen on the frosted appearance of polycarbonate either so opted for this instead

IMG_0090.jpg

Its a "glazing kit" made from clear acrylic, available from bnq, it comes in different kit sizes e.g 6ft x 4ft, i got the 6ft x 8 ft as i knew i was going to have to butcher a lot of it. I also bought some timber, stain, screws and the obligatory fly trap whilst in BNQ's!

IMG_0085.jpg

Total spend has come in at around £180, roughly the same as i'd of paid for a polycarb 6x4 greenhouse if i'd been able. As it is i've ended up with a much stronger structure and a little more room as a bonus.

And so the build begins ( between downpours!), First the back panel...

IMG_0089.jpg

Then screw on the glazing

IMG_0091.jpg

Ooops first mistake, i forgot to stain the frame before glazing it!

IMG_0093.jpg

Now stained !

IMG_0095.jpg

Then the side panel, i wasnt gonna bother and just use fence panel but lots of crap grows through the panel from the neighbours.......

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

Front panel done leaving just a door and a roof to finish

IMG_0133-1.jpg

IMG_0132-1.jpg

I added some old guttering i had laying about to the shed and a waterbutt for obvious reasons

IMG_0134-1.jpg

I made the roof in two parts, one piece is fixed, the other is held to the frame using spring clips. I wanted to be able to open the greenhouse up to the elements whenever possible.

IMG_0138-1.jpg

IMG_0150-1.jpg

IMG_0145-1.jpg

Door made and fitted, nothing on this house is square or equal but it's all gone together and i think my plants will love me now !

IMG_0158-1.jpg

Nice and humid after a spray

IMG_0160-1.jpg

The plants (mainly auction wins from here/Andy and Ian and Diane's large donation during their clearout!)

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0159-1.jpg

IMG_0147-1.jpg

IMG_0144-1.jpg

IMG_0143-1.jpg

IMG_0142-1.jpg

IMG_0141-1.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

Many thanks for looking

Chris

Thanks all for such kind words, The plants are looking much happier and i just wish i'd done it sooner, the fly traps would be double the size they are now.

I'm just trying my first ceph and fly trap leaf cuttings which i couldn't of done before.