Drosera Capensis dormancy

Marcia

I know there are some topics on this but i thought it would be better to start a new topic.

There seems to be a lot of different opinions about wether or not to put these plants through dormancy. Some are saying that it's fine to leave them outside in the UK over winter but others are saying that that's not a good idea and they don't need a dormancy?

What are peoples opinions and experiences of this?

They are subtropical plants and while they can take cold temps (~4 C), they do not require a dormancy. They really do well at a sunny window sill, all year long.

I tried this last winter, it didn't go well at all, unfortunately mine died, as did my partners aliciae and capensis, i would advise to just keep it in the house during winter don't let it go dormant =)

Thanks for that. My little Drosera is coming indoors over winter then :sun_bespectacled:

I know that South African winters can be harsh on occasion (according to my other half who was born out there) but most of their winters are apparently relatively mild, not dropping below 2-3 degrees.

I keep mine indoors. Having said that, I have some self sown seeds of capensis that have germinated in my Sarracenias outside at some point since before the winter, and some seeds out there that I sowed the year before that are only now germinating as the pot dried out at some point. Some of these plants are in flower having raised themselves out there of there own accord. Just goes to show how persistent the seed can be.

I keep mine indoors. Having said that, I have some self sown seeds of capensis that have germinated in my Sarracenias outside at some point since before the winter, and some seeds out there that I sowed the year before that are only now germinating as the pot dried out at some point. Some of these plants are in flower having raised themselves out there of there own accord. Just goes to show how persistent the seed can be.

That's one of the things i love about them, their so hardy and strong

Hi Marcia

I leave mine outside in bogs all year and as Alexis says the top dies but they come back ever year from the roots, and as Richard says they self set seeds everwhere indoors. If ever the world was to end, the only things left alive would be cockroaches and capensis

Cheers

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I kept my D. aliciae and capensis in the house last winter (under articial lights) and found that they didn't go into dormancy. However, whilst the capensis seems to just keep on growing no matter what I've found that the aliciae is extremely susceptible to stress from a change of environment. On a number of occasions I thought I'd killed it.

Things I've found stressed the aliciae out include moving straight to the greenhouse (during heatwave) when it first arrived by mail order (too hot?). Starting to use the log fire in the room the plant was in as summer ended (too dry?). Splitting and repotting when roots came out of the bottom of the pot (shock?). After the initial greenhouse siting and the log fire episodes I found that the plants recovered well once moved back to a more suitable environment and within a couple of months were looking as good as or even better than before. But after splitting/repotting earlier this year I'm still waiting for the stronger plants to recover fully and some of the smaller ones ended up in the bin as they were beyond hope.

I don't think I'd want to risk keeping them outside over winter up here in Derbyshire and I'll be keeping mine in the greenhouse, which I'll be keeping frost-free.

Anyway Marcia good luck with yours what ever you decide to do.

Cheers

Gaz