Is it or isn't it?

SoLongFairWell

Last year I bought a few plants online from Bugtraps (easy carnivores). I didn't realise at the time that it was that company that seems to have a site for 'easy' everything. Not particularly happy with him to be honest but that's another story.

One of the plants I ordered was labelled online as Ruby Royale. I only noticed earlier this year that the plant isn't actually labelled that at all (and I don't even know if that is an actual VFT variety/clone). Instead it's just labelled as 'All Red'. This annoyed me.

I sent the fella an email and he said that he thinks it's Red Dragon.

What do you folks think?

tumblr_m7xppvBIRL1r38fvy.jpg

tumblr_m6yezzIqDu1r38fvy.jpg

There are quite a few red variations and they are frankly difficult to tell one from another so you will just never be certain.

I have not heard of Ruby Royal and it may have just been given name to help sell the plant and if that is the case then that is not good.

Yes newbies are often taken in by these exotic names only to discover they just look like typical VFTs. The only certain way is to stick to the registered cultivars. If a grower truely has a unique looking plant then they will probably go to the effort to register it.

As far as red varieties go (with the typical teeth) I just have Red Dragon. I will not purchase any other because as far as I can see they all look the same to me. They can vary slightly in the trap colour but so does my Red Dragons and they are genetically identical. Much of the difference between the reds is environmental.

Bird grabber! now thats a laugh, he must have been p****d when he came up with that

Edited by mantrid

Well I thought, due to the number of plants on the site, that it was a reputable seller. Turns out I was wrong. Problems with every plant I got from him actually as I got another VFT that was a green one called Emerald Isle but turns out to be a fairly weak plant that is absolutely not all green. He reckons there were probably two plants of different varieties in the pot and the green one died. Then was my Cephalotus, growing in just peat and absolutely smothered in moss that eventually led to fungal trouble. I didn't know at the time how a ceph should be potted. Never ever again will I go there.

• Like 1

The guy ( Less Pickens ) used to host our website up to 3 years ago along with his easy carnivores site which we operated for him . We through the grape vine realised he could be, lets say rather tempremental so decided to move to a host we had more confidence in.

A little while later we decided to stop the Easy carnivores so to concentrate on littleshopofhorrors and remove confusion. This obviously pissed mr Pickens off as he then kind of cloned our site useing Dutch plants . As far as i know he doesnt growe Cp's

I would think that Bird grabber , Ruby royal and the all green thing are not cultivars but simply plants picked out from the carniflora stock

I was going to flag his actions up here but feltit would sound like souer grapes so thought give him enough time his true actions would be disscoverd . Give him enough rope he will hang him self !!! He is now no longer selling plants i believe.

Alistair

He seems to have website for everything Alistair. Easyorchids, easycacti, orchidspecies, even easyexotics and easyinsects! These last two have things like leaf cutter ants, assassin bugs, praying mantis, millipedes, stick insects, and crabs it also mentions scorpions and tarantulas.

I see what you mean about cloning the website Alistair even more so hearing he used to host yours. Bugtraps say 'opening in the spring' and I just checked and Easycactus are still operating sales (well the site is anyway). I haven't checked the others.

I have not idea what your plant is, but FYI Ruby Red was a plant that Phil Wilson named from plants brought in from, I believe though I could be wrong, Australia.

Cheers

Alex.

I have not idea what your plant is, but FYI Ruby Red was a plant that Phil Wilson named from plants brought in from, I believe though I could be wrong, Australia.

Cheers

Alex.

Did you mean Ruby Royal, I know it gets confusing with all these similar names flying around lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Alex I was refering to the mention of Ruby Red that no one prior had mentioned and thought you had crossed wires my mistake.

Either way if someone is going to slap a name on a plant then they should at least send that clone out and not the wrong one.

That means either sloppy plant management or bad sales ethics.

Ian.