My Mexican Pinguicula collections

ice00

hi,

growlist is a good way to take tracks of all plants, but with about 100 different types of Pinguicula, maybe photos of the plants can help me in identify them in a better way.

So in the latest 1,5 years I have sorted them into one single page with:

• Name of plants
  • Summer photo
  • Flower photo
  • Winter photo

Unfortunately this is not jet completed (as new plants arrived every months and not all have flowered jet), but maybe it is already good if one is searching to identify a Pingucula with missed ID.

Take a look in X-Plant Pinguicula for all photos.

In the near future I will integrate it even with Temperate Pinguicula :)

Hi,

it's quite a nice idea to do something like this! I've found an other little mistake. It has to be P. gypsicola "Buena Vista".

What I also have to say is, that your plants look very green and weak in winter. You need to give them much more light. If they don't get more you risk loosing plants because of fungus etc...

Kind Regards

Marcus

Edited by Marcus Vieweg

Hi,

it's quite a nice idea to do something like this! I've found an other little mistake. It has to be P. gypsicola "Buena Vista".

What I also have to say is, that your plants look very green and weak in winter. You need to give them much more light. If they don't get more you risk loosing plants because of fungus etc...

Kind Regards

Marcus

Wat is your groundmix? I think you used to match peat,then plants grow faster and got bigger but she become weak also ,this is dangerous in winter for get mould and dead of plants.

Meaby that s the reasson your plants looks green and weak in winter?

Cheers Will

Edited by will9

Thanks for the mistakes found, I will fix them as soon as possible.

All plants are coltivated in those three mix:

old mix: river sand, vermiculite, perlite, quartz gravel, bark

middle mix: pomice, perlite, vermiculite, lapillo

new mix: lapillo, vermiculite, perlite

In winter plants will receive light from a sud windows, but they have good winter light only from 8:00 to 13:00. From 14:00 to 24:00 they receive a soffuse light that comes from 100W Nepenthes terrarium that are at about 1m in distance.

Unfortunately this winter in Italy was very strange (there are people that lost many Sarracenia, Dioanea and Pinguicula for this) as it was relatively very hot for the periods from December to March after a months very cold and then in April temperatures drop down (actually I have some cyclosecta that are in winter rosetta even in this periods!), so the plant stay in home until May, otherwise min temperature in April was under 3° with max temperature near 14°.

Looks very nice,

Wat s lapillo and why 3 different mixes?

I used only 1mix :70% breakersand,20% perliet and 10% peat,works very well,i never use vermiculite,i think it s not so good for the plants and it s have not any benefit for the plants.

Qaurtz gravel is also very good,bark i never use this,pumice have to match calc,meaby good for gypsicola and some others but not for all.

Have you test your mix for calc,many pings grow in oakwoods ,very acid.Best is to have a neutral or light acid mix i think.

Even plants like gypsicola and moctezuma grow very good on a light acid mix but prefere some more calc.

I see also you have only 1 or 2 plants from a specie,ping s are multiply very easy from leafs ,1 or 2 is not match ,if you loose 1 you lost a specie.If you have the place it s better to have some more from a specie.

The weather this year is indeed very strange ,warm and hot,cold and dark,very cold ,very hot ,very dry ,very wet ,dark,some times a difference in temps from more then 15 ° in 1 day,today it s 33 ° here ,tomorrow 35° and day after this it s only 20° .last week a day or 2 whit only 15° in day and 8° in night ,next day allmost 30° ,very difficult weather for all plants ,

Cheers Will

Lapillo (maybe lapilli in english translating word) is a vulcanic material similar to pomice.

I use the initial mineral mix (the marked as old), but during the last summer I see that it becomes too compacted.

So I switch to have:

pomice in the bottom of pot (with big particle size) and then lapillo in upper of pot (with little particle size). Vermiculite and perlite is just less of 5%.

But actually I switch again to have only lapillo (big particle size in bottom of pot, normal particle size in middle and little particle size in upper part) as lapillo was more easy to buy in big quantity. Vermiculite and perlite is still less of 5% even in this mix. In Italy many growers use only lapillo for Pinguicula.

This winter I start to propagate 50% of Pinguicula, but with the wrong winter we have, I lose many of the little plants and actually only 5% is still in growing phase.

I have to start again to make leaf cutting...