New CPS Website

I am pleased to announce that we have finally completed the new CPS website which is now officially live, though in practice, it might take a few hours to propagate the site around the various servers.

This site has been long in development, way longer than me or any of the other committee members, the beta testers and indeed the developer had imagined! But I believe we have now a fantastic, up to date and informative site that will take us forward. New features on the site include a history section, online membership, a shop where you can order assorted CPS related stuff, the Seedbank which now has online ordering built in. There is a links section and a brief but informative selection on cultivation, plus an events page and along the bottom of the site a news ticker.

The only things remaining are some relative links that I know will need updating and which can only be done once the site has gone live - so if you find any in the next couple of days please don't tell me as I'm probably in the process of sorting them!

This is what I have been referring to phase one. Phase two will be to incorporate an online database which will allow us to do cool things like renew online, check memberships, check on past seed and CPS product orders and so on. I don't have a date for phase two but it should be within the next 18 months, depending on when we can secure funding.

Phil

Edited by pwilson

Looking good. I thought I'd try it out and have just ordered my quota of seeds from the seedbank.

Will there be a members only section? Or is there already and I just missed it?

Looking good. I thought I'd try it out and have just ordered my quota of seeds from the seedbank.

Will there be a members only section? Or is there already and I just missed it?

There are no plans to have a members only section at the moment. To be honest it just created masses of work for Dennis who had to deal with the mound of emails every day from members who had forgotten their password. And also I feel that what we have on offer should be available to all anyway. When we bring in the online database there will be an area where the member can log on to get his or her details. Mainly this will be account details so for instance they will be able to update postal and email addresses. We may have a secure download area there for things like past journals and plantas but at the moment we don't even have these to scan in.

The database will also tidy up the seedbank a bit. At the moment you can only order a maximum of 6 packets of seed but there is no check on previous orders so you could for instance place an order for 6 packets in April and another 6 packets in September. Naturally Sheila, our seedbank manager will be up on this and won't allow a thing through! When we bring in the database this will keep a history of past orders so members will not only be able to check on what they've had in the past, but the system will only allow them to order up to their annual allocation. It'll also mean that Sheila will be able to go into members accounts and make seed bank adjustments to allow for the additional packets scheme.

Phil

Phil