Pots and trays

Hello, It would seem the bug for carnivorous plants has well and truly bitten me. At the moment I am using polystyrene cups as pots and old ice cream tubs for water trays. I realise that polystyrene will break down in U.V so I am looking for some more substantial pots for my ever increasing collection. Can anyone recommend me a plastic pot? Which size is best and where is the best place online to get them please? I'd like water trays too.

I'm sure this question must have been asked a thousand times so I thank you for your patience.

Regards

Jim

Jim

I tend to get all my pots from Wilkos with the size of the pot obviously depending on the size of the plant I am putting in it. These pots may not be the sturdiest but they do the job and I have not had any problems with them. I also either get gravel trays from Wilkos, which will hold probably six to eight plants depending on pot size, or the trays for holding grow bags, which I get from my local nursery, which can hold 30 plants plus.

I cannot remember exactly but the gravel trays are about £1.50ish and the grow bag holders £5.50ish.

Dave

Jim

I tend to get all my pots from Wilkos with the size of the pot obviously depending on the size of the plant I am putting in it. These pots may not be the sturdiest but they do the job and I have not had any problems with them. I also either get gravel trays from Wilkos, which will hold probably six to eight plants depending on pot size, or the trays for holding grow bags, which I get from my local nursery, which can hold 30 plants plus.

I cannot remember exactly but the gravel trays are about £1.50ish and the grow bag holders £5.50ish.

Dave

Thanks Dave, those grow bag trays sound like just the thing I've been looking for. I never thought to look in Wilko's :wacko1:

Hi Jim

i prefer the square pots as shown by Elliot, you get more efficient space useage than with the round ones especially when in gravel trays. Size obvioulsy varies, but for Sarracenias, big/tall ones a 10" is sufficient and is relatively stable in the wind if it is outdoors, and say 6" for purps, psitts and minors till they spread too far.

Cheers

Steve

Fantastic, thank you for your answers. I currently have some Leuco's and Flava's in the polystyrene cups I mentioned. They are about 4 ins diameter at the top and 6 ins deep. Do you think these are adequate for a couple of years? I didn't want to disturb my existing plants unnecessarily. Any new plants I get I would like to put into more substantial square plastic pots.

If you look for smaller pots that never brook ,i have some squire:7x7x7cm: 7x7x9 cm and i think a few 9x9x9 cm,i not know how match 500 or more,some are used for a few months others are new but she are unbreakable ,a banana box full whit this.I can send this for 15 Euro sendingscosts to UK ,so for 25 Euro you may have this (10 Euro for the pots),all in if you can use them,it s more for drosera,pings and other smaller plants ,i not think you can use if you have only sarras,meaby for the seedlings,

cheers Will

Edited by will9

Hi Jim

Leucos and flavas will obviously grow tall and spread so a 4” pot will constrict them somewhat as they get older. They also have deceptively long root systems so a pot deeper than 6” would be beneficial as they mature. If what you have are seedlings then you will be OK for a year or two, however if they are semi mature plants already, they will probably burst their way out of the polystyrene cups by the end of two years. It would probably be best to repot them in early spring when they are dormant and give them some new media, as it tends to get ‘tired’ after a period and in a small pot this effect happens quicker than in larger pots and inhibits growth rates.

So in theory you can leave them but they will not grow as quickly or as robust as they could and they may just burst out the pots of their own accord before the end of the two years. Dont worry about disturbing the plants during spring when they are dormant, they seldom notice unless you are particularly brutal and they are also surprisingly resiliant.

Cheers

Steve

@Steve. Thanks very much for the reply. I will aim to repot all my plants this next Spring into more suitable pots, I do quite like the look of the Teku pots.

@Will. Thanks Will for the offer of the pots, they are unfortunately too small for my plants as my collection mainly consists of Sarracenia and I think I will need wider and deeper pots for them.