Preparing for dormancy

Mujician

I know it's early, but forewarned is forearmed! I have heard that people put mulch over CPs to keep the frost away but isn't that going to be full of nutrients as I thought mulching was a way of enriching the soil. If I have completely misunderstood this, then please correct me.

Is there another way of protecting from frost? Bubble wrap? Wool?

Thanks for any help

I don't know the science behind it but I just know we do it and it works. Someone with more knowledge about rate of decomposition or ph values etc will chirp in and give you more info I hope.

Do you remove the mulch in the spring or does it just become the top layer of growing medium? What exactly do you use to make your mulch and how do you do it?

I use about ten to fifteen inches of straw in the fall (Halloween), then in the spring (St Patricks Day) I remove all of the straw and life in the bog resumes growth with no ill effects...

I use about ten to fifteen inches of straw in the fall (Halloween), then in the spring (St Patricks Day) I remove all of the straw and life in the bog resumes growth with no ill effects...