D.Capensis 'Alba'

jimlard

Hello, I have two D.Capensis 'Alba' which I am worried about. The leaves that have caught prey look as if they are going mouldy and dying back. They are in my little plastic greenhouse which I have kept closed for the last two weeks or so due to the inclement weather, I am worried that lack of air circulating may have caused this....although, my other D.Capensis standards, D.Rotundifolia, D.Filiformis and D.Binata are all looking really well and healthy.

Is this just a thing that occurs naturally or have I cause for concern do you think?

Regards

Jim

You might want to let some air movement in the little greenhouse to help it, and I would clip off the moldy leaves. My Capensis are outdoors with no protection and they never get moldy after catching prey in their leaves. Try it and see what happens...

Provide more ventilation and clip off the infected material. I have selfed capensis seedlings coming thriving outdoors in Sarracenia pots since last year. Oh and move the rotundifolia the hell out of that kind of greenhouse. It's a native plant and won't thank you for that much heat. Outdoors full sun container of water. You can do the same for the filiformis.

Edited by Richard Bunn

Ok, the plants are now outside in a sunny (well as sunny as it's going to get) spot. I have trimmed all leaves that were turning mouldy and noticed a lot of little white insects, I'm guessing these aren't beneficial to the plant. Does anyone know what these could be and if I can use any chemical to rid them please?

I have rose clear in the shed which is an insecticide and fungicide but don't know if it is safe to spray on Drosera.

Are they moving? They sound like they could be the shed skins of aphids. I don't know if you can use Rose Clear. The best is Provodo Ultimate Bug Killer. I wouldn't spray a Drosera though as they don't like it. Use the one you mix up yourself and dunk the soil and the plant will take it up systemically.

Are they moving? They sound like they could be the shed skins of aphids. I don't know if you can use Rose Clear. The best is Provodo Ultimate Bug Killer. I wouldn't spray a Drosera though as they don't like it. Use the one you mix up yourself and dunk the soil and the plant will take it up systemically.

Thanks for your help Richard, I'll do this and let you know how they get on.

Check that there are living pests there first as there's no need to dose unnecessarily.

I've had a look and like you say the 'white insects' aren't moving, I have noticed a few aphids on the plants at the base though.