Is dormancy a must in Darlingtonia?

Hi there!

Just wondering if dormancy is a must for Darlingtonia, like it is in Sarracenia or Dionaea, or given the proper conditions (for example, growing it under strong ligths (but keepeng the plant rasoneable cool and well ventilated) it can be grown the year round without stopping its development.

Thanks!!!

Edited by The body snatcher pod

Hi BSP

I have never tried it myself but the percieved wisdom is that without dormancy they will grow perhaps for one winter but WILL weaken and die, so dont try it with a valued specimen. My plants overwinter here in teh UK outside and put up their tallest pitchers first in spring, so keeping them indoors will not promote larger/taller growth if that is what you were after.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for your replies!

No, actually I give my darlings a winter rest just like my Sarras (In fact they grow side by side). Just a mix of curiosity and also wondering if I can grow my little Darlings under lights all year round to skip one winter and get bigger plants in less time.

Cheers!!

Edited by The body snatcher pod