Ant Fern

Kevan

Hi All,

My ant fern (Lecanopteris mirabilis) is doing rather too well and I would like to propogate some bits fromit. Any suggestions on how to do this? There are several bits of the 'plate' overhanging the pot it is in, they seem to have roots - can I just cut bits off and pot them up?

I would post a photo, but I havn't got the hang of this at all!

Many thanks

Kevan

Guest Andreas Eils

Hi Kevan,

that´s good news! This means you have SPARES... :biggrin:

There are several bits of the 'plate' overhanging the pot it is in, they seem to have roots - can I just cut bits off and pot them up?

Basically, yes! I would only make sure the cuttings are big enough. If the cuttings are at least approx. 3 cm in length I´ve had good results in growing new plants from them. I used a carpet cutter to cut them apart from the mother plant. I disinfect the cut surfaces with charcoal powder (to avoid fungal infections). A couple of Osmocote perls added to the upper part of the new soil help growth (alternatively heavily dilluted fertiliser misted on the rhizome once monthly). The surface of the soil should be kept moist all the time until the short roots have grown deeper into the soil (takes around eight weeks or so).

I´m not sure for 100% but I think better don´t cut all growing points from the mother plant. I´ve left always one or two growing points/growing tips on the mother plant. I´m not sure if the fern can continue to grow from anywhere of the old rhizome.

Good luck!

Andreas

Not so keen on that fern but I like the look of the other two plants. Trouble is they probably won't grow in an unheated greenhouse and are probably too big for my windowsills. >Le sad<

Edited by Richard Bunn

My plant is growing in a bedroom, low of 12 deg C in winter. Only needing low light levels the plant is not in a window, it lives by the fireplace (no fires!), on the floor and about 1.2m from the north east facing sash window.

It was tiny when I bought it, about 3cm of rhizome and one small leaf. Now it is 25cm tall and 20cm rhizome, and growing strongly. Not bad for 3 years growth.

I will let people know how the cutting process progresses.

Guest Andreas Eils

Hi,

I thought L. mirabilis would be a "lowland species". But I know of L. sinuosa that it is quite tolerant on cool conditions.

There are a couple of highland species - for example: L. holthumii, L. darnaedii, L. spinosa. An unheated greenhouse however will be most likely too cold for them in winter (and probably too hot in summer)! :wink:

Greetings

Andreas

Edited by Andreas Eils