Bayer fungus fighter and scotts bug clear gun

Mark Anderson

I have a mite infestation in my nepenthes terrarium and possible fungus on some plants and my cephalotus. is bayer fungus fighter and scotts bug clear gun safe to use on nepenthes and cephalotus. the nepenthes i have are young plants of fusca, ventricosa, densiflora and campanulata, all crossed with robcantleyi from be. 2 small x bill bailey and 2 n. princess and one cephalotus with mature traps. could i spray all the plants with both products in combination (not mixed together)? say bug clear then week later with fungus fighter. the mites are white and less than a mm on the densiflora x robcantleyi, and some fine webing on the fusca x robcantleyi with little spots on the webing. All the plants where put in the terrarium over a month ago and all the nepenthes have a sun tan from the 125w envirolite 30cm from the plants the terrarium is 122cm long 30cm deep 38cm tall. the top of the tank is covered with 4 sheets of glass with a 2cm gap between them for ventilation, humidity is 70% to 78% rh day and 80% to 86% at night. there are rusty coloured spots on the underside of older leaves and some younger leaves. hope someone knows what to do.

Edited by carni grower

when I say fine I mean safe to use, not necessarily effective, I have yet to find a product which works against spider mites, I would probably go for biological control if you can afford it. washing the leaves down with a water sprayer daily for several days is said to work well.

• Like 1

The only genuine solution to a red spider mite infestation is a thermonuclear detonation in the greenhouse.

If you've got a smaller number of larger plants, I find the best solution is putting a squirt of washing-up liquid in water, and wiping all the surfaces of the leaves with this, using kitchen roll or cotton buds.

Provado Ultimate Bug Killer works fairly well- it contains thiacloprid, but I think it's some oily stuff in the mix that has the effect.

• Like 1

when I say fine I mean safe to use, not necessarily effective, I have yet to find a product which works against spider mites, I would probably go for biological control if you can afford it. washing the leaves down with a water sprayer daily for several days is said to work well.

hi stephen haven't got the money at the moment for bio control, all i've got is the above mentioned chemicals and b'cuzz bio defence. have you ever tried b'cuzz bio defence, i've test sprayed a large Windowsill ventrata that wasn't looking healthy a few months back with a half dose and it seemed to do its job the plant looked happy and vigorous a week or to later. its a two part plant reinforcer against vermin and fungi. i might give all my small nepenthes in my terrarium a quick spray with this, before i start chemical warfare.

Edited by carni grower

Here's some info on b'cuzz bio defence that i lifted from a web site. just like man, plants also develop antibodies

against disease germs, insects and fungi. These

antibodies are called alkaloids. They are specific

types of protein. B’ cuzz Bio defence stimulates

the production of these substances, making it

very difficult for harmful organisms to survive.

Edited by carni grower

Some people swear by a spray of a weak emulsion of cinnamon or neem oil, as Gareth said it is the oil component which is thought to be important, in blocking their respiratory pores...

i think bio defence is quite oily and maybe that's how it effects insects. the claims on the bottle are a bit hocus pocus sounding, but it does seem to give the plant a boost and it does look healthier after the application but as for nothing attacking the plant, i don't think so but i know nothing has touched my ventrata and princess and they are in far lower humidity conditions than my terrarium plants, so i would have thought they are a prime target for mites. but most likely i'm just lucky. i'll let you know what happens after i spray with bio defence. fingers crossed they pick up a bit. what would you recommend i do with the tools i have at hand?