UTRICULARIA Bisquamata "Betty's Bay"

bugmuncher

hi guys i am really starting to get a soft spot for utrics but i dont have any yet , i have been looking around and have found UTRICULARIA Bisquamata "Betty's Bay" on ebay. how is it to grow , is it likely to die on me as i have never grown one before. i really want one but only if i will be able to keep it alive

thanks

dave

..sometimes bisquamata can even become a weed!

James,

I suspect you're thinking of the small-flowered, hyper-self-seeding nasty U. bisquamata - which is truly a weed and should be kept out of collections (imho). The 'Betty's Bay' cultivar is actually quite restrained and well-behaved with it's growth habit and doesn't self-seed. The larger flower also makes for a much more enjoyable plant. Many thanks to Mr. Morley for bringing it into cultivation.

James,

I suspect you're thinking of the small-flowered, hyper-self-seeding nasty U. bisquamata - which is truly a weed and should be kept out of collections (imho). The 'Betty's Bay' cultivar is actually quite restrained and well-behaved with it's growth habit and doesn't self-seed. The larger flower also makes for a much more enjoyable plant. Many thanks to Mr. Morley for bringing it into cultivation.

Ah, another impressive achievement for Stephen. Well done!

From what I've seen on ebay 'Betty's Bay' can be quite expensive. I've only got the 'weed' variety myself :thumbsup:

it was £4 with £3.50 postage , not sure if that is expensive but after seeing a lot of pictures i just had to have it , i would like a few more different varieties so keeping my eyes open, im about half way through my probation so not long before i can hit the for sale forum lol

it was £4 with £3.50 postage , not sure if that is expensive but after seeing a lot of pictures i just had to have it , i would like a few more different varieties so keeping my eyes open, im about half way through my probation so not long before i can hit the for sale forum lol

That's good. I'm sure I saw it much more than that. But you know what it's like on ebay, a plant can go cheaply one day and the very next go for stupid money.

James,

Yes, indeed I was talking about bisquamata in general. I have Betty's Bay and it is as you say well behaved. Fortunately I have kept the weedy one out of my collection as well as its close friend subulata.

Hello

I have a "Betty's Bay" Bladderwort too. It's in flower at the moment. Lovely pale violet and yellow 'bunny' type flowers on tall hair like strands. I've just re-potted mine into 9cm square pot so it's fairly mature. I'd like the white flowered one too, "LIVIDA". Utricularia makes such a change from the usuals, but they do just look like a pot of moss in winter :sarcastic_blum:

I've been keeping it outside with the rest of my collection (bringing it indoors in very cold weather). It's been OK so far. It's outdoors in the garden mostly unprotected (rain, wind, etc) but in full sun. All my plants are grown this way. Greenhouses are better. But I don't have one. I'm poor.

Anyone else have any success growing Utricularia outdoors in the UK?

Edited by Heisenberg