A question about live Sphagnum

Random

Hey, surprisingly enough, I never found the answer to this question, anywhere.

Does temperate and arctic sphagnum require dormancy in the winter? If one grows it in a terrarium, like the tropical species, will this have ANY effect on it? I've heard it isn't necessary, but I've also heard that if it doesn't receive dormancy, it will go weak and slow in growth and will eventually die out over the years. Do you think that is true? All opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mario

Found this on another forum, dont know if it helps or answers your question , It does make sense thought.

"Seems logical that, just like CPs:

If its a plant that naturally grows in an environmment where plants go dormant in the winter, then it needs a winter dormancy.

If its not, then it doesnt..

The type of plant should make no difference..

(and where you personally live is also irrelevant..all that matters is the native climate of the plant)

Scot "

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The local sphagnum that I used to dress my Nepenthes from Illinois and Canada never seemed to need a dormancy period of any kind. As long as they got enough moisture, they were happy to grow seemingly forever. Of course, sphagnum is not a vascular plant so it is likely to behave differently from other plants. Mileage will vary.