Controlling temperature and humidity

Hi

My current set up is on a shelf within a bookcase, I am growing Drosera.

I now have enough lighting, however the temperature is too high and humidity too low.

It is reaching over 90 degrees, with 30% humidity.

Can anyone advise me on methods to bring these into an acceptable range please.

photo5cn.jpg

What about mounting a clear acrylic plate below the lights using brackets? That will separate the hot air from the plants below, while not reducing the light a lot. You can then use a fan to cool the lights directly, without blowing away the humid air below.

• Like 1

I have set up a 6 inch desktop fan about a metre away, which is blowing into the area.

The temp has dropped to the 80 degrees, and the humidity is up to 50%.

Hopefully that will work and help the sundews gain their dew!

Have you not a window for placed it there ?it s rediculous installed all of these for only a few plants ,like i can see,it s not need light or something els if you place this on a windowsill ,to the south or to the west,even on the north is better then wat you have now,

this is match to low,i supoose this are capensis and alicaea?

This plants need open air ,not in a bookshelf,better you place them on a table whit a light above this ,whit a fan the plants got even dryer and died anyway,i think its impossible to hold this plants in a little room like this wathever you do,

Cheers will

Edited by will9

If I had somewhere better to place them, then surely I would already do so.

You say its ridiculous for only a few plants, well once I get the conditions working for me, the whole space will be filled with about 12 or so plants, which is not ridiculous to me.

How is the light too little? I see many set ups displayed on the forums with an equal amount of light to mine.

I'm no expert of course, but with the fan on the humidity has raised 20%, so surely this is not even dryer?

:)

If I had somewhere better to place them, then surely I would already do so.

You say its ridiculous for only a few plants, well once I get the conditions working for me, the whole space will be filled with about 12 or so plants, which is not ridiculous to me.

How is the light too little? I see many set ups displayed on the forums with an equal amount of light to mine.

I'm no expert of course, but with the fan on the humidity has raised 20%, so surely this is not even dryer?

:)

Sorry ,i not have say the light is to little ,how can i know ,you not mention how match light you give,i have say this bookshelf is to low ,to small for hold this plants ,plants needs open air.

If you not make this place bigger plants go dying anyway ,meaby Drosera petiolaris group can live in there but not south African or south American.Meaby you can place some other light that not give heat to the air.

I allways trying to spare electricity ,even whit hundreds of plants i not do this if i find another solution.I not know wats the price of this where you are living ,but here in Belgium it s very ,very high.

I am very wundering ,someone have not the place for set a few plants ,so far i know every housse or flat have windows,it must be very dark in there.Even not place on a table or a open shelf ?

I am not a expert even ,the only i can do is give some advice abouth things i have trying allready,wat you are doing whit this advice , it s of course your choise wat you do or not do .

Then the only i have to say is good luck and good growing ,let know whitin a few weeks or months if plants still alive in there ,i am very intresting to this ,if she still alive and looking good then i go give some other advice in future and then i know wat i must do in winter whit the plants that not can stand cooler temps,

Cheers Will

Thanks Will

I only have a north facing window, and based on what I have seen others achieve I thought I would try this set up.

If it turns out that it is unsuccessful, then that's life I guess :)

I am just trying to do what I can with the space I have.

People suggest putting the plants as close as possible to the lights, so the space shouldnt be an issue, hopefully the fan will allow correct air flow.

I think the lighting is sufficient, and perhaps now the temperature and humidity is too.

Only time will tell, and of course I will make updates to the progress.

Hopefully some of the indoor growing experts could make some comments?