Many carnivorous in Angola!

Wooow Damien, I have not visited the forums in a loong time but I am happy I did right now. What a fantastic work you are doing there, thanks a lot for sharing all the information and pictures.

I wish you good luck finding G.pallida and other interesting species.

Will be waiting for the updates!!

Best regards,

Sebastian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dear growers,

Thanks a lot for all your comments!

Two weeks ago I get back to a bog in southern place of BiƩ where I was hopping to find Genlisea pallida. Unfortunatly, I didn't not found it even after hours of prospection. Whereas I was searching for G.pallida, I saw among the grass big blue/violet of another Genlisea species:G.africana. Here is a pic of the population:

africanasite.jpg

A detail of the nice flower:

gafricana.jpg

There was also lots of specimens of another species: Genlisea margaretae

gmargaretae.jpg

I hope you enjoyed.

Best regards,

Damien

Edited by rosolis76
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Carlos, some Genlisea were growing under 2 or 3 mm of water but other were located in dryer places not submerged by water.

I came back in France 3 weeks ago now and I am still missing all these beautiful species I saw there ;-)

Here are some another pictures of Utricularia species I saw:

First a really nice form of U.livida growing with a D.madagascariensis (or D.congolana):

livie.jpg

On this picture you can see a nice U.welwitschii growing on ferralitic soil:

wel.jpg

This picture shows a U.prehensilis, sorry for the low quality:

pren.jpg

On this last picture there is a strange Utricularia specimen which could be U.scandens:

scanjq.jpg

I hope you enjoyed.

Regards,

Damien

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi Jimscott,

I forget to answer this point about foot prints. Indeed, bogs are often used by farmers to feed their animal and when they have enough capitale and workforce, they also dry the soil to grow vegetables which give them much more cash that food crops. In the other hand, they also burn the wet areas for two main reasons. The first one is that they are afraid of snakes as they believe these animals are the reincarnation of spirits bringing bad news (such as death of relatives or friends) and obviously they can be dangerous especially for kinds. The second may reason is that during the civil war, lots of muggers use to hide behind tall grasses, so the keep this habit to "clean" with fire.

Most of plants can recover after fires (Drosera are especially tolerant) but carnivorous plants definitly disappear after soil preparation for vegetables crops...

Best regards,

Damien