Sign in to follow this  
James Stevens

advice please on N. Ampularia

Hi all,

I would like to grow N. Ampularia, but can only provide an unheated terrarium on my bedroom windowsill- would normal room temperature be warm enough to succeed with this species or should I stick to highland species?

thankks for any tips,

James

It will depend on how warm you room is, especially in winter, they can survive and even grow quite well if you can keep the temperatures above 20C. They dont like too much direct sun either so it will need some protection if your south facing. If you have to choose something else you might want to pick an intermediate rather than a true highlander. Things like boschiana, reinwardtiana, truncata all seem to pitcher freely with low humdity and intermediate room conditions.

Thats the experience I've had my ampularia grew very well on a window sill in a terrarium as long as the temperatures didn't dip below 18C ish but intermediates will do best as manders says.

For me is N. ampullaria the perfect plant for an unheated terrarium indoors. I grow mine for many years in a small tank in my bedroom, only add. heating comes during the day from the lamp on top, outside the tank. A click on my signature gives you more information (if you hit the right icon ;-)

I can only encourage you to try it.

Regards

Martin

I completely agree with Martin, if you can provide some day warmth such as from a light, they will tolerate cool nights, these guys where grown under an envirolite with no other heating. They just dont lke long periods (weeks to months) at cool temps, if you can keep the plant/room warm in winter then should be no problems.

4941429162_af39014a20_z.jpg

Wow that's some healthy looking Amp. My Amp is also in a non-heated terrarium and sometimes it makes pitchers (like now) and sometimes all the pitchers die and the leaves show sunburns. I only have artificial lighting. The terrarium doesn't have highland conditions as all my (lowland) neps are there too.