Sundews in Sydney

Hi all, just wanted to share some pictures of some Drosera and other plants that are growing in the bush near my house. While they can't compare to Christian's spectacular photo treatise of the WA CP's I hope you'll find them interesting.

Drosera spatulata, by far the most common species in the area. It could be found along the side of the track for most of its length. In many places they appeared to be growing on pure sand or sandstone with very little soil or organic matter, it may be worth trying as a cultivation technique.

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

Some of the plants were very large, larger than I had seen spatulata before. I placed a 65mm lens cap for comparison.

DSC_0148.jpg

I found both Drosera peltata and D. auriculata growing within 20m of each other. I didn't think both would be found in such close proximity. The plants were also very advanced in growth, mine have only just started to break dormancy!

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

D. peltata:

DSC_0131.jpg

D. auriculata:

DSC_0145.jpg

Drosera pygmaea was also quite wide spread along the track, just really hard to spot compared to the D. spatulata. The recent rain meant that they had dispersed all of their gemmae and some had started sprouting already.

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0151.jpg

Now for a partially carnivorous plant, Stylidium lineare. This plant was also quite common, often growing in very close association with the D. peltata/auriculata. I also saw what I believe to be S. laricifolium, but I can't be sure without flowers.

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

And a couple of other flowers from the same area.

Grevillea speciosa:

DSC_0115.jpg

Grevillea buxifolia sp. buxifolia:

DSC_0159.jpg

Lambertia formosa:

DSC_0146.jpg

Banksia ericifolia sp. ericifolia:

DSC_0162.jpg

Banksia oblongifolia:

DSC_0125.jpg

Clump of terrestrial orchids including a Pterostylis sp. At least 3 different species are in this clump, I'll try to identify them when they flower.

DSC_0152.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Guest Andreas Eils
While they can't compare to Christian's spectacular photo treatise of the WA CP's I hope you'll find them interesting.

Why not, Ciaran! :Laie_98:

By the meantime however I canĀ“t see D. spatulata anymore...lol... ;o) I love Stylidiums and those Banksias are quite impressive! :woot:

Thanks for the brilliant colours in our current rainy days!

Andreas

Glad everyone enjoyed them. I suspect that there may be Utricularia sp. and Drosera binata present at this location, but the binata will be dormant currently and the Utricularia wouldn't be in flower, so I will check over Spring/Summer. And for the non-CP's, I'll make a compillation of pictures over winter when all the other plants come into flower, and then post them on the forum.

In the mean time, enjoy some pictures of Stylidium graminifolium:

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

Edited by -Xeno-

Guest Andreas Eils

:wub: Oooohhhhh....I love STYLIDIUM! So far only S. debile grows well for me. I twice failed with D. brunonianum...which made me very sad! The plant rot almost immediately after it arrived from a nursery here in Germany. I guess it was the wrong time for shipment as in summer these species whose leaves look like needles are dormant and canĀ“t take any moisture resp. humidity. :confused:

Regards

Andreas

Andreas, I'm just getting in to Stylidium currently, I have 10 species of Stylidium and 2 Levenhookia that I'm attempting to germinate. I imagine that you know this, but S. brunonianum appears to grow in the same condition as the pygmy and tuberous Drosera species from South-West Western Australia, so maybe try them in the same pots/conditions if you have any of them?

Martin, that's interesting because the other nine members of the Lambertia genus are restricted to SW WA, although I believe they are a bit less common and the flowers are a bit different to it's eastern counterpart.

I've created a new topic for the non-carnivorous plants that I find around Sydney, which I will update as I take new pictures.

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46262

I'll keep this thread for the Carnivorous plants and Stylidium I find.

Thanks again

• 2 months later...

A stange growth of D. peltata that may be of interest; it appears to be many small plants growing off a drop-tuber of a rheophytic D. peltata:

DSC_0638.jpg

And some more pictures of D. spatulata because it's a nice looking plant :)

DSC_0633.jpg

DSC_0636.jpg