Carnivorous plants in the wild - UK

I went there yesterday but just walked to the top from by the train station,not sure wich route it was but never seen no CP's, is ogwen valley on snowden itself. I want to return sometime this week purposly to see my 1st wild plants. Thanks for all the info

Dan

The ogwen valley is along the a5 between Bethesda and betws y coed great spot full of pings and drosera!!

Anyone in or around the Midlands been to Sutton Park in Birmingham? I'm told that there are D.Rotundifolia and P.Vulgaris with some aquatic utricularias to be found also, I've been once but was not successful in a find. I did however find lots of sphagnum moss and lots of wetland areas. I may have been looking in the wrong place as the information I had to go on was near 'one of the pool's'... well in Sutton Park thats quite large, it has several! :P

Any assistance or knowing would help, its my closest site and I dont always get a lot of time, but would like to go for one more final search before the season is over.

Anyone in or around the Midlands been to Sutton Park in Birmingham? I'm told that there are D.Rotundifolia and P.Vulgaris with some aquatic utricularias to be found also, I've been once but was not successful in a find. I did however find lots of sphagnum moss and lots of wetland areas. I may have been looking in the wrong place as the information I had to go on was near 'one of the pool's'... well in Sutton Park thats quite large, it has several! :P

Any assistance or knowing would help, its my closest site and I dont always get a lot of time, but would like to go for one more final search before the season is over.

Been once but only found sphagnum like you so would be interested to find out a specific location ☺

• 4 weeks later...

Found this site, simply type in the name, hit the find button, you will be taken to a page with a short summary and also clickable buttons to other info including a UK outline map showing very roughly where it has been located..excellent site although some links appear, sadly, incomplete.

http://www.brc.ac.uk/plantatlas/

Also if you visit http://www.bioimages.org.uk/ and type in the latin name in the sponsored search box you will be redirected to a link that gives you a list of Lattitude & Longitude locations where pictures of plants were taken, using Google Earth I have tried entering a couple of locations and although not exact, the location pins do appear to be close to what looks like wet or boggy areas, ponds or drainage cuts. I must add that some of these sightings can be as old as 45 years so they may no longer be present.

The website history states that it originaly was built in 1992 (it looks it too!), it was last added to about a year ago.

I expect to be bumping into many thermos carrying carni growing nerds trudging the back country lanes of the UK over the next few years  (train spotters of the plant world unite !!!) :sarcastic_hand:

Edited by Buster
  • Like 2

Found this site, simply type in the name, hit the find button, you will be taken to a page with a short summary and also clickable buttons to other info including a UK outline map showing very roughly where it has been located..excellent site although some links appear, sadly, incomplete.

http://www.brc.ac.uk/plantatlas/

That's brilliant, thanks for the link. Sadly, every plant I tried showed nothing around here. Looks like I need to move to Scotland - not a bad idea now I think of it, lots of open countryside!

Also if you visit http://www.bioimages.org.uk/ and type in the latin name in the sponsored search box you will be redirected to a link that gives you a list of Lattitude & Longitude locations where pictures of plants were taken, using Google Earth I have tried entering a couple of locations and although not exact, the location pins do appear to be close to what looks like wet or boggy areas, ponds or drainage cuts. I must add that some of these sightings can be as old as 45 years so they may no longer be present.

The website history states that it originaly was built in 1992 (it looks it too!), it was last added to about a year ago.

Hmm, I tried it, but it just sent me to the normal Google page, and didn't restrict the results to their site. However, if you just search on Google as normal, but add "site:www.bioimages.org.uk" (without the quotes) in the search box, it restricts the search to that site.

However, it would be a real pain to trawl through that site trying to find locations! Even ignoring the issues you raised, you have to find the exact plant you want, then click on an image, click it again to see details, and then check if the location is there and accurate enough to use.

Looks like I need my Sherlock Holmes hat as well as my thermos!

I expect to be bumping into many thermos carrying carni growing nerds trudging the back country lanes of the UK over the next few years  (train spotters of the plant world unite !!!)  :sarcastic_hand:

Do we get to wear NHS glasses as well? Got to have those to be real train-spotters!

• 1 year later...

Hi Robby,

I'm not familiar with that exact area, but basically if you've got wet acid nutrient-poor conditions and sun, therefore you will find sphagnum moss, therefore you will find carnivorous plants (at least, that has been my experience!). Try looking at osmaps online for boggy open areas.

Edited by Karsty

• 3 years later...
On 6/1/2015 at 4:01 PM, Mark Long said:

'...Lots of Pings in the Ogwen Valley at the bottom of the Glyders as well which are right by the main road. A few sundews there too...'

I pulled into a few of the lay-byes in turn along the A5 (which runs through the valley).  Wandered down to the water's edge (south of the A5) and a couple of places on the uphill side under the Glyders.  I also walked along the path that is parallel to the 'long' lay-by on the eastern stretch but alas, not a single Ping to be seen.  Not even a sundew for that matter.

Plenty of sphagnum moss though.  In fact, trudging through wet spongy stuff muttering to myself that this would be the perfect 'bog garden...' yet the seemingly ideal habitat may as well have had a 'CPs welcome' sign on a post.

I'll have another look the next time I'm there and hope that I just wasn't looking in the correct spot even though they ought to widespread with acres of sphagnum to paddle through...

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, Green ranger said:

I'm sure I saw a pitcher plant growing wild in South London- am I mistaken?? 

Sarracenia purpurea has been introduced to many places in europe. We have 15 or so known locations in Sweden so its quite possible you are not misstaken. Here are the oldest known site in sweden, is it the same plant you saw?

Edited by Tropfrog

• 4 weeks later...

I visited there yesterday but only hiked to the top from the train station; I'm not sure which way it was but there were no CP's, and it's Owen valley on Snowden itself. I want to return later this week to view my first wild flora and add some indoor flowering plants in my garden. Thank you for the detailed information.