Is This LFS?

jimscott

No.

I get alot of this contaminating my Sphagnum. Dont know what its called but its a pain weeding it out.

Its much smaller than sphagnum but is similar in colour and can be hard to spot in amoungst it

No, it's not Sphagnum moss (LFS). I don't know what it's called, though I think it could be hypnum moss. I hate the stuff, as it's taking over the shaded parts of my lawn!

I think it could be Brachythecium or even a little strange looking Aulacomnium species, but the determination would probably take some time with the microscope.

And i personally like this kind (or a pretty similar one) of moss :smile: It is quite low growing so it does not overgrow my hardy sundews as Sphagnum does. Even in nature i have seen some of the most striking plants on places with other mosses than Sphagnum.

I think it could be Brachythecium.

I think that's a possibility too... I googled some pics of it :thumbsup: The shaded trees and rocks around here have it, or something very similar, growing on them.

It looks kinda nice, I just don't like it in my lawn.

I think it could be Brachythecium or even a little strange looking Aulacomnium species, but the determination would probably take some time with the microscope.

And i personally like this kind (or a pretty similar one) of moss :smile: It is quite low growing so it does not overgrow my hardy sundews as Sphagnum does. Even in nature i have seen some of the most striking plants on places with other mosses than Sphagnum.

I agree that it is an attractive moss and can look good. My problem with it is its seems to have a dense root structure that forms a tight mat like structure in the first cm or two of the substrate which I think hinders the growth of my VFTs. I notice they grow more slowly when this moss surrounds them however it doesnt harm them. It could be considered useful if you want to limit how fast your plants grow ie keep them in the same pot for longer