Pinguicula caussensis sack

Dear all,

This is a sad news some friends of mine want me to relate here on this forum.

They went this month on a trip to southern France to see Pinguicula caussensis on its habitat. They wanted to see again a station they found along a road 2 years ago:

120511102826749729838818.jpg

Plants were healthy on a also healthy habitat and they produced many seedpods, as you can see on the picture above.

However, this year they couldn't found any living plants in this station. Here is a photo of what they could observed:

120511102541749729838806.jpg

It is really likely that those plants were all removed from this roadside. As can be seen, pockets of tuf were extracted and plants this them too. It does not seem a roadside cleaning maintenance of road services. This is totally intolerable. Mediterranean butterworts have limited distribution areas and are thus threatened by climate changes. Furthermore, Pinguicula caussensis is protected by laws in part of its habitats and many stations belong to a french national park where it is totally prohibited to take even a very small part of the plant.

I recommend everyone not to buy this species to any none-reliable seller. I was aware that a person that did not use to grow Pinguicula is now suddently selling Pinguicula caussensis and Pinguicula grandiflora.

My friends will contact soon the competant authorities to see what can be done against such illegal actions and the persons who commited them.

Edited by kisscool_38

Hey Aymeric

Very sad to see this picture .But sadly that is what people destroy they don't think about the fact that many or most

species that are not frequent in nature, grow in such a small area that by destruction you can let a whole species extinct.

Greetz Tim

Aymeric, I hope the authorities actually do prosecute or fine the person responsible for theses actions.So often they are just let off with a "slap on the wrist"

If it can be proved who stole these plants they should also be banned from all forums and boycotted by all cp buyers.

ada