S. leucophylla Hurricane Creek White, clone E

meizwang

After growing several different S. leucophylla Hurricane Creek Whites for many years, I'm starting to notice that within the same clone, there can be significant variation. The shape varies, and sometimes, the spring/summer pitchers have a bit of pink coloration in them.

All pictures below are S. leucophylla Hurricane Creek White clone E from Baldwin Co, AL-tunfortunately, this variety of S. leucophylla is extinct in the wild:

Check out the pink coloration in this trap-there is a slight dent too-that was my bad...accidently bent the trap while it was developing. Perhaps that's what caused the serious pigments to occur:

E7.jpg

Another shot:

E6.jpg

And here is another division of clone E-almost looks like a completely different plant!!. In addition, there's a lot more green veins in the upper portion of the hood compared to the previous picture, and I'm starting to think these various phenotypes are highly environmentally induced. Some were divided last year, others weren't, which we all know affects the color of the plant.

And yes, they are 100% for sure the same clone:

E1-1.jpg

E1-1.jpg

E-1.jpg

Now here's the same exact clone, but in a different pot. Notice how the shape is slightly different. E3.jpg

E1.jpg

E.jpg

It's almost unbelievable, but I noticed ALL of my other Hurricane Creek White clones behave similarly.

Edited by meizwang
  • Like 1

Beautiful plant. Mine just died.... not from dormancy bur from the cold snap following the warm spell in March. It had a flower stalk in development right before it turned cold.

Sorry to hear that jimscott, hopefully there's a piece of the rhizome that's stil alive underneath.

Thanks Banana! To answer your question, the site is owned by a paper company, and they plowed the fields to plant pine trees for pulp production. The original site wasn't filled with just white plants-the majority had regular S. leucophylla, and I believe the site covered many acres. Within the dense field of regular S. leucophyllas, small patches of Hurricane Creek White were scattered here and there from what I've been informed. I think S. rubra wherryi and S. psittacina was also at that site.

If you think about it, we only have a tiny fraction of what existed at that site-imagine the diversity of white clones that literally disappeared overnight!

A lot of the local people harvest pitchers from their properties, which definitely puts some form of stress on the wild population. While that's not the best case scenario, at least these sites have a shot at survival.