Tap water for CP's...

He contradicts himself, first saying never use tap water, then saying you can use it after it's stood for 24h for the chlorine to dissipate.

You can only then use tap water, if it's got a max. of 100 ppm of dissolved salts. Those will not disappear when you let the water stand around.

So, if you can't measure the amount of salts your tap water has: don't use it.

• Like 1

The advice given by wholesalers to my local garden centres is to boil and cool tap water to remove temporary hardness (bicarbonates) before using on CPs.

It doesn't remove calcium and magnesium sulphates and chlorides, called permanent hardness.

In my very hard water area (3 mmol/litre dissolved salts), even water treated like this can kill a Dionaea in a single application.

Like Amar and Stephen, I wouldn't do it.

I think a lot of people espouse using tap water after allowing Chlorine to dissipate as the result of keeping tropical fish. There's more to water than what meets the eye, as it were.

I agree with everyone. Unfortunately I have to use Distilled water so I am always looking for a cheaper solution. I only posted this because this guy is from 'Experts Village' so he says so I assumed his advice would be that of an expert's... :D

I wonder how many people took his advice and lost their plants :( ?

I agree with everyone. Unfortunately I have to use Distilled water so I am always looking for a cheaper solution. I only posted this because this guy is from 'Experts Village' so he says so I assumed his advice would be that of an expert's... :D

I wonder how many people took his advice and lost their plants :( ?

Surely it depends where you live, I have always used tap water to water my Sarracenia but then I live in Cornwall, previously on Dartmoor.

The geology of your landscape has a big effect on the pH of the tap water.

Baz

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a water butt purely because I don't have a down-pipe from my gutter (my neighbour has it). I've got away with tap water here in Ireland for a few years but I wouldn't say I'm comfortable with it. I now use a Brita filter for the water. Takes forever but it's better than the tap right?