Hi guys im looking for a little advice on D.Regia, what types of fertiliser are safe to use? and which are the best ones to use? also when is the best time to start fertilising it?

Thanks in advance

Sarah

Hi guys im looking for a little advice on D.Regia, what types of fertiliser are safe to use? and which are the best ones to use? also when is the best time to start fertilising it?

Thanks in advance

Sarah

I use 1.232230403645 grams of "Peters Specialties" water soluble 30-10-10 orchid fertilizer to 3.78541178 liters of distilled water as either a foliar feeding or by root (but usually foliar) once a week. From seed to seven inch leaves in 9 months.

I've just bought a Regia and would also interested in what fertilizer people use?

I thinking of using a couple of pellets of a slow release fertilizer in the pot (per year).

Don't think I can measure 1.232230403645 grams of fertilizer or even 3.78541178 liters of distilled water !!!!!

Barry

Don't think I can measure 1.232230403645 grams of fertilizer or even 3.78541178 liters of distilled water !!!!!

Barry

Also know as 1/4 teaspoon to one gallon but I thought grams and liters might mean more to some and I wished to be precise.

I use 1.232230403645 grams of "Peters Specialties" water soluble 30-10-10 orchid fertilizer to 3.78541178 liters of distilled water as either a foliar feeding or by root (but usually foliar) once a week. From seed to seven inch leaves in 9 months.

ah right cool, is that stuff expensive? or quite cheap, also do you use the same 3 litres of water over a long period of time or all in one go?? might seem like a silly question hehe but i still consider myself to be a bit of a newbie at this stuff, especially when it comes to fertilising and i don't wanna get it wrong =P also do you think slow release pellets would do the job? or would i be better off using a water based fertiliser

Sarah

if you don't want to get it wrong then dont fertilise...easy :sun_bespectacled:

Well yeah i guess there is always that, but, from what ive researched it helps the plant to be fertilised, as a lot of young Regias die from lack of food so i figured the best way is to fertilise them til theyre big enough to catch stuff

I doubt they die from lack of food, more likely poor conditions. I grow lots from seed and they are in a very nutrient poor mix of Sphagnum and perlite, yet they grow perfectly happily!

Fair enough, i have 20 seeds so i plan to try a bit of both, 10 unfertilised & unheated, the other 10 fertilised with extra heat see how it goes and which ones grow best i think =)

ah right cool, is that stuff expensive? or quite cheap

It's pretty cheap, just a couple of bucks.

also do you use the same 3 litres of water over a long period of time or all in one go??

I usually just spray the mixture on the leaves so it tends to last a long time.

do you think slow release pellets would do the job? or would i be better off using a water based fertiliser

Yes, I'm sure that slow release pellets will work just fine. I just like to spray my plants because it give me a more "hands on" kind of feeling. Just my own personal choice.

They seem to struggle with lack of light. If just kept on a window sill they fall into a pattern of one leaf emerging, with one leaf peaking, with one leaf in decline. If kept outside when the temps are reasonable, they have more peaking leaves.

They seem to struggle with lack of light. If just kept on a window sill they fall into a pattern of one leaf emerging, with one leaf peaking, with one leaf in decline. If kept outside when the temps are reasonable, they have more peaking leaves.

Ah right, fair enough, i will be growing mine in a very bright conservatory it gets a lot of sun pretty much all day and then when it warms up a bit i will be moving them outside =)

It's pretty cheap, just a couple of bucks.

I usually just spray the mixture on the leaves so it tends to last a long time.

Yes, I'm sure that slow release pellets will work just fine. I just like to spray my plants because it give me a more "hands on" kind of feeling. Just my own personal choice.

Rightyo thanks for all the advice =D i will have a shop around and see what i can get =D

• 4 months later...

Hi Sarah, just wondered how you got on with your D regia seeds? I've got 4 up at first leaf, 1st tentacles stage. 8 germinated but 4 damped off and left me with 4 slightly stronger ones which I really don't want to lose. So how did your fertilising experiments turn out?

Cheers

Gaz