Help Drosera ID

Rita

Hi all,

could you help me ID this (pygmy) drosera?

This is the flower:

drosera_1.jpg

Thanks,

Rita

Thanks Jim.

You meant like this:

PICS

I don't have pics of plants, will take it tomorrow.

Rita

Hi Rita,

judging from the open seed pod with lots of seeds I guess it is a self-pollinating species (not a hybrid, as e.g. 'Dorks Pink' seems to be sterile). If I would have paid more attention to my plant's spent flowers stalks, I would probably able to come up with a good guess, as there are not that many self-pollinating species among the pygmy drosera and most of them have very different inflorescences (e.g. the occidentalis complex species or probably most of the nitidula complex species).

So, which options are left? D. pulchella, D. omissa and some special forms like the one have labelled as D. platystigma A. Probably some nitidula complex species other than leucostigma or patens. As said above, if I would remember which species form with stalked glands on the inflorescence would be helpful for the ID...

Lot's of guesses, but a picture of the plant may help, a picture of the flower even more (but that seems to be a bit late for this season judging from the fact that most seeds are ripe on the picture).

I hope this helps

Dieter

Edited by Dieter
  • Like 1

Here pics of plants and flowers again.

I took them at 12 o'clock, the strange flowers never have visible petals.

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

Rita

Dieter, thanks for your help.

Few years ago I got few gemmes of D. platystigma. They developed in only 3 or 4 plants, so the year after I prepared a new pot and re-poted some gemme of my D. platystigma.

Actually I have two pots of D. platystigma: the first one with the original very nice big and orange flower.

The second pot with the "strange" no-evident-petals flower I asked your ID help.

I labelled both of them "D. platystigma" and those days I've noticed the strange flower and think I could mis-labelled the secondo pot.

Wait for your opinion...

Thank you very much :)

Rita

Edited by Rita

Hi Rita,

I just want to confirm that this indeed should be D. platystigma. Your plants are a little more advanced than mine. The little black things you see in pictures 1 and 2 are ripe seeds falling out of the seed pods. Mine are not ripe yet, but otherwise the inflorescence looks the same.

However, what you are seeing there, is not the flowers but the remains of them (hence the ripe seeds). I noticed that two of my four D. platystigma forms seem to be self-pollinating (A and C) as yours seems to be.

Here is a picture I made for you today:

platyA.jpg

The 'C'-form looks similar, allthough it is a bit more greenish.

And this is what the flowers looked like:

D_platystigma_A_1.jpg

D_platystigma_C_2.jpg

A plant in flower (one of those not self-pollinating clones):

D_platystigma_type_1.jpg

I hope this helps to sort things out.

Best regards

Dieter

P.S. In case you want more confirmation to be sure: the arrangement of the gemmae is very typical in D. platystigma (and D. mannii) which makes it easy to tell these apart from any other species.

Plant with some first gemmae

Edited by Dieter

Thank you very much, Dieter.

Now my ideas are more clear. I can say: I have two different forms of D. platystigma.

What surprise me is: I've never caught them in full flower, nor at noon! I can't beleive it.

My fantasy brought me to think about a strange cleistogama form :)

Greetings,

Rita