Sarracenia Seed Not Germinating

Carnivine

I set some Sarracenia and Darlingtonia seed in January, after having them in the fridge for 6 weeks. To date not one seed has germinated. Is this normal or should I be seeing some siites of growth by now/

I set some Sarracenia and Darlingtonia seed in January, after having them in the fridge for 6 weeks. To date not one seed has germinated. Is this normal or should I be seeing some siites of growth by now/

It also depends where you keep them. Mine are in the greenhouse and most have sprouted like Alexis', but not the darlingtonia though. A work colleague has his in one of these growhouses and he's got nothing yet, so it's still possible something may grow. I don't think this cold and wet spring is helping much either.

Mine have been out in the greenhouse since january too.I have them on the floor where it is cooler because of lack of space.

Some have germinated already but most haven't yet,due to this cold damp weather.I wouldn't worry until mid may.

ada

Yes quite agree, it's too early to worry at this stage.

A few of mine have shown signs of life but most have not.

I was'nt expecting anything before mid May anyway.

Cheers

Baz

Ady

I am in the same position, set my seeds mid Jan and have yet to see any signs of life.

Dave

Hi Carnivine

Well I'm in the rather great position of having three temperature controlled propagators, so having stratified till mid March then planting , I now have thousands of seedlings growing at a fair rate.

If you got the seeds from the CPS seed bank you can almost guarantee that they will be viable, but as everyone else has councilled, if they are sitting outside or in an unheated greenhoue you will have to wait until that big yellow thing in the sky gets going this year, whenever that may be.

Cheers

Steve

Mine are the same, seeds were sown early January and put in fridge for 5 weeks then I moved them to a window sill.

I've had 2 of my Cephalotus germinate but no sign of any Sarracenia seedlings. I've now moved them to a propagator and put a heat mat under them.

Regards,

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Do not put away ,seeds can still germinate after more then a year after sowing,for moment i have germination a lot of sarra purpurea and psittacina sowing in Januari 2011,

Cheers Will

Still waiting for mine...

Me too =/ I have mine in a heated propagator, still no signs of life, i also have Ceph seeds and Darlingtonia seeds none of them are showing any signs yet =( however, 3 of my pots of Drosera seeds are doing great =P looks like i have a few little forests =P