A little trip to Obi (German equivalent of B&Q)

I went to the Obi in Eching, just north of Munich today and was somewhat surprised by the selection of CPs. Heliamorphia, VFTs, nepenthes & sarracenia of all sizes (including a flowering parrot pitcher), a wide variety of sundews (including tuberous & pygmae), bladderworts, butterwrts and some I couldn't even identify. I bought just one, a Drosera Regia that had already divided into five plants, and is just about to be divided.

2ql8ho6.jpg

Some of the prices were a bit iffy, but on the rarer ones they seemed a little cheaper than online.

I'm new to Germany, so I don't know if this is normal in Obi or if I just got lucky.

Hi Stuart,

congratulations on your new D. Regia.

In spring OBI always receives plants, so far as i know they are from T. Carow. When they arrive the quality is always very good, like it´s visible in your picture.

But their offer differs from store to store.

The problem is that in most cases they don´t exactly know how to keep them allive for a longer time, the growing conditions in the stores are not the best (wrong water, less light, less humidity). The result is that later in the year the plants are not that healthy like they are in the moment.

Best regards,

Daniel

That's pretty much what happens in similar shops in the UK. They arrive in good condition, then die pretty quickly when they're put in shade and left to dry out.

However, in the UK its rare to see even 10% of that much variety. I was pretty impressed with the range available.

That's pretty much what happens in similar shops in the UK. They arrive in good condition, then die pretty quickly when they're put in shade and left to dry out.

However, in the UK its rare to see even 10% of that much variety. I was pretty impressed with the range available.

Well here in the Netherlands you wont even see Heliamphora's in Garden centres and when you see a Nepenthes you only see the same species. I really wish we had so much choice over here would be checking the garden centres more often. ;p

• 4 weeks later...