Nepenthes dubia from seeds

sabryberty

Hi!! In November 2011 i've sown Nepenthes dubia and were born in December.

Photo 1

i used a substrate of peat perlite and another of sphagnum, the temperature ranging from 15-20 C° and humidity 80-86%

January

photo2

photo3

february

photo4

photo5

photo6

In February I started my new terrarium for the summer because it's very hot here. I did the cooling system and I insulated with polystyrene.

photo7

photo8

Photo9

Then I put a layer of volcanic lapilli, then a network, and I put on live sphagnum. I finally put in the ultrasonic nebulizer

photo10

March has arrived.... I put the reflective sheet

photo11

Then I put the lamp out of the terrarium because it gets too hot..

April...

photo12

photo13

photo14

photo15

sorry for the English.... bye ;)

Edited by sabryberty

Much better results than I've had with dubia seeds... what temperatures were you using for germination?

Just one observation here... I tend to germinate absolutely everything at lowland temperatures (20-25 degrees), but found that a pot of dubia seeds refused to do anything until it got moved to highland temperatures (13-20 degrees.) I haven't found anything else that's needed these low temperatures for germination and it strikes me as an odd one.

Much better results than I've had with dubia seeds... what temperatures were you using for germination?

Just one observation here... I tend to germinate absolutely everything at lowland temperatures (20-25 degrees), but found that a pot of dubia seeds refused to do anything until it got moved to highland temperatures (13-20 degrees.) I haven't found anything else that's needed these low temperatures for germination and it strikes me as an odd one.

I used temperatures from 15-17 degrees to germinate, very low but I have had excellent results.. :)

For Kevnep,

when they will become 6-8cm i sell some Dubia because 40 is too much for me.

ps. sorry i would have to created the post in Propagation not in Pitcher Plants

Edited by sabryberty

Hi!! I saw that my seeds of N. Macflarlanei have mold why? :(

Hi- my experience is that each batch of seeds is different to the next... some are old and dead on arrival. Some have very low viability. It's really quite random.

If they're growing mould, the reason is probably that they're dead seeds to start with- not your fault.

I'm guessing you're buying from albermarlesounds on ebay?

I just keep buying seeds from each new collection that's made. Some of these macfarlanei seeds don't seem to want to grow at all. In the past, though, I've had scores of macfarlanei pop up from a since pod. It's one species that I find very hard to grow though- I still haven't ever got more than a couple of seedlings to 2cm across.

I would love some dubia, maybe in exchange for some hybrid seed ive made, though it will be a while before the seeds are ready. ive made a few lowii hybrids including spathulata x lowii and (ventricosa x (spathulata x lowii)) (b)x lowii and a few more

Hi- my experience is that each batch of seeds is different to the next... some are old and dead on arrival. Some have very low viability. It's really quite random.

If they're growing mould, the reason is probably that they're dead seeds to start with- not your fault.

I'm guessing you're buying from albermarlesounds on ebay?

I just keep buying seeds from each new collection that's made. Some of these macfarlanei seeds don't seem to want to grow at all. In the past, though, I've had scores of macfarlanei pop up from a since pod. It's one species that I find very hard to grow though- I still haven't ever got more than a couple of seedlings to 2cm across.

yess!! I buy the seeds from albermarlesound :thumright: it's a good seller!! Now i removed the seeds with mold...i hope that they grow...

for kevnep,

how many plants would you have? I prefer to sell them...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Congratulations for those babies, they are really cute and they look very healthy with you!

I knew you could do it! and thanks for sharing your photos, you finally have jamban, I'm so glad for you.

Don't doubt to ask me anything you want :thumbsup:

Regards.

Congratulations on your germination, since I am very fond of seed in the age of TC; and I liked your 50:50 container with both the peat and long fiver sphagnum composts. I have also used both and prefer the peat, if only because it allows for easy transplanting as a peat "plug" without any root damage The only thing that I would be concerned with, down the line, is keeping the seedlings in an overly-humid environment. They are highly susceptible to damp-off fungus (Pythium, for the most part); and the onset can be quite rapid. I have dealt with the issue, for the last couple of years, by adding granular Trichoderma to the composts; and damping off seems to be a thing of the past . . .

Nepenthes sp. 2012

NEP-AB.jpg

NEP512.jpg

Aseptic --axenic -- germination

NEP-A2.jpg

NEPTC-A.jpg

Thank's all!

fantastic your nepenthes!! :D they are germinated in water?

For my baby Dubia, if I repot in september it's ok?

Hello,

The seedlings can remain in the tray for some time; and I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry, since they have little in terms of a root system at that age.

In answer to your question, no, the seedlings weren't germinated in water. That substrate is solid, simply clear; and a tissue culture media, specific for germination . . .

NEPSSPX.jpg

thanks... :) and where can i find the liquid for the tissue culture?

I am assuming that you're either in the UK or Europe; so I would do an internet search for tissue culture supplies locally. The TC media is generally a powder that is added in tiny amounts to distilled water, along with sugar, pH adjustment, a gelling agent, occasional plant growth factors (hormones, etc.); and then sterilized. The process can be a bit involved. Here is a good, brief overview of the process and some of what is involved:

http://www.flytrapcare.com/tissue-culture-basics.html

thank you! : D now I read ... this technique is very effective? I think it is expensive...

Alternatively, it can be done fairly cheaply; and there are online sites that describe how to do some sterile technique without the use of a formal laminar flow hood. Also, once the chemicals are purchased, they last a long time in the refrigerator; and tiny amounts are generally used at any given time (100 grams of the gelling agent Gelzan will provide enough for something on the order of 1000-1200 50 ml tubes at 2-4 g/L). The following site offers a club discount to its members and has access to a great deal of materials and techniques.

http://www.hometissueculture.org/

DD