Dracula orchids species

dimitar

Dracula pholeodytes, grown in cool to cold conditions.

P4130012.jpg

P4130030.jpg

P4130005.jpg

P4130037.jpg

P4130038.jpg

Dracula decussata syn.niesseniae, grown in cool conditions.

P3230065.jpg

P3230067.jpg

P3230014.jpg

P3230023.jpg

This photo session is especialy for forum member Adilson from Brazil, he knows why :tu:

Cheers, Adilson!

Hope you like these orchids and if someone else grows such plants , fell free to post your pics in this thread.

• Like 3

Guest Andreas Eils

This photo session is especialy for forum member Adilson from Brazil, he knows why :tu:

:shock:

Oh, I´m sorry! You should have mentioned it at the beginning of your post, so I would have switched immediately to another topic without looking at the pictures!

:devious:I can´t help it but Dracula pholeodytes looks like it lives up to its name and has just sucked blood from a poor victim. Hope it wasn´t your blood, Dimitar! :biggrin:

:shock:

Oh, I´m sorry! You should have mentioned it at the beginning of your post, so I would have switched immediately to another topic without looking at the pictures!

Opps, did I really do this? Haven't I mentioned your name in this thread? Ahhh what a mistake I have done :shock:

Now I will add - " ...and especialy for Andreas." :tongue:

:devious:I can´t help it but Dracula pholeodytes looks like it lives up to its name and has just sucked blood from a poor victim. Hope it wasn´t your blood, Dimitar! :biggrin:

He he he, nice one! Should I name this thread " The orchid takes the blood out of its anonymous victim"? :lol:

What do u think, Andreas?

Guest Andreas Eils

Should I name this thread " The orchid takes the blood out of its anonymous victim"? :lol:

What do u think, Andreas?

Nooo, better is the headline: "Orchid killed gardener by sucking his blood!"

I think you would be visited by a lot of reporters of the yellow press then! :laugh: And in all European countries people can read about your bestial, bloodthirsty orchid. "Now there´s evidence count Dracula in fact is an orchid not an undead human", they´ll write....looooollll!

Hmm....that leads me to the idea of a nice cartoon.....hehehehe....

Now I will add - " ...and especialy for Andreas."

That sounds much kinder! :D I like your orchids, so it´s mean you only show them especially for Adilson! :blum3:

Kind regards

Andreas

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have about 23 Drac orchid plants, all doing well , well as good as they can for this climate.

here are a few photos of some flowers coming into season now at last.

Drac woolwardii

P1190196.jpg

P1160153.jpg

Drac transilvania

P1160151.jpg

Drac roezlii

P1190214.jpg

P1190202.jpg

P1190210.jpg

Drac psittacina

P1150465.jpg

Drac posadarum with a bit of slug damage

P1140975.jpg

will be a lot more open in the next month or so , loads of flower spikes shooting out ,from many other plants .

• Like 1

Very nice Dracs there mate. Awesome!

Intetesting! Do they need high light? Or would they be suitable under a bench for example?

Nope, they need shady position as much as possible, so under the bench in the greenhouse is best place. Very high humidity is a must and significant drop of the temps at night as well. Mine thrive at temps no more than 22C - 24C day and 10C or lower at night with humidity above 85% or more constantly...in other words cool to cold temps.

Here is the smallest Dracula from all Dracula orchids species.

My favorite Dracula lotax, still not in flower...

pc020002_fd98b_31075595.jpg

Edited by dimitar

For me I give them much more light than Dimi , and many here in AU seem to do the same, just works for me , I grow them in my nep G/H which is high land conditions and some what similar to the native Drac habitat ,from what I understand,, my temps do get high in summer , but with misting and fogging and water cooler they do very well , and put out multy spikes in spring like there doing now , hope to show more flowers soon