D. spec. "Bahia" ´Chapada Diamantina, Mucugê, Bahia, Brazil´

Hi all,

a few weeks ago two of my D. spec. "Bahia" ´Chapada Diamantina, Mucugê, Bahia, Brazil´ have flowered.

Under my conditions D. spec. "Bahia" is an easy growing species, these two plants flowered only 13 months after sowing out. The biggest plant is about 5cm in diameter but perhaps they still are not adult. The plants which flowered are only 3-4cm in diameter. The flowers are relatively small, about 1cm in diameter so it wasn´t easy to take good pictures of them.

The plants colour up easily, even plants which do not receive a lot of light are reddish. One pot i will give less light for the next months to see if they perhaps will get bigger in diameter.

I tested two different substrates, peat/sand and a sphagnum/sand; they like both of them.

Leafcuttings work easily and perhaps i can offer some spares of this very nice species in the near future.

D. spec. "Bahia" is closely related to D. villosa and somehow the plants look like small D. villosa but the difference in the size is really enormous, my biggest D. villosa are about 23cm in diameter.

And here are the pictures:

D. spec. "Bahia" ´Chapada Diamantina, Mucugê, Bahia, Brazil´

P1240394a.jpg

P1240383a.jpg

P1240539a.jpg

all in all the scapes are hairless but as you can see a few single hairs are visible

P1240639a.jpg

P1250185a.jpg

and now the flowers

P1250123a.jpg

P1250120a.jpg

P1250102a.jpg

P1250097a.jpg

P1250290a.jpg

closing flower

P1240876a.jpg

picture taken where it grows in open trays

P1250304a.jpg

And again some pictures of plants that have not flowered till now.

P1250142a.jpg

P1250181a.jpg

P1250145a.jpg

P1250151a.jpg

P1250329a.jpg

P1250321a.jpg

a little bit more "greenish"

P1250180a.jpg

Sorry for showing such a big number of pictures, hopefully you like them. smile.gif

Best regards,

Dani

P.S.: And of course many thanks to the donor of the seed.

Edited by Daniel O.
  • Like 1

Many thanks for the kind words. :yes:

About the temperatures, well during summer i had absolutely no problems with them nethertheless it sometimes reached 30 degree daytime, at night sometimes about 25 degree, but only at the hottest days and nights. But i have to say that last summer we had not a really hot summer, not like the year before. When it was hot it was only for a few days, not for a longer period.

The summer temperatures of the habitat of D. spec. "Bahia" seem to be relatively high (about 30 degree) with relatively high temperatures at night (15-20) but perhaps somebody from Brazil could give better information about the temperatures.

Later or tomorrow i will try to take some pictures of D. spec. "Bahia" next to D. villosa to show the big difference in the size of the plants.

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.

Hi Daniel,

is amazing how many plants you germinated! I try the same and germinated only four plants,

one viable but I don't have floral scapes. I may not have the climate is more appropriate because

the 'Chapada Diamantina' has higher temperature.

Which the age of your plants?

Regards.

Edited by Carlos Rohrbacher

Congrats once again for your amazing effort and skill Dani! I can't wait to see what amazing hybrids you will make with this species, hahaha!

Here's a tip: I consider this plant almost intermediate between the villosa complex and D.grantsaui. I'm not sure if they're directly related like that, but a fertile hybrid might lend support to this hypothesis... ;)

BTW, this plant will hopefully be named by the end of this year.

Thanks again

Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. Yes this species is probably better suited for warmer climates, since it grows in the northeastern state of Bahia (although it occurs on the cooler Chapada Diamantina highlands, up to nearly 2000m altitude).

Many thanks Adison, Carlos and Fernando. :yes:

@Adilson, I´m also very excited how they will develop in future.

In the pictures from Jonanthan it´s not really visible, what length do the older wild plants reach?

@Carlos, a much bigger number of plants germinated, at least half of the seed, it was a nice surprice.

How big is your biggest plant?

They seem to like the higher temperatures during summer but lower temperatures during winter are not a problem as well, during winter my day temperatures are about 18-22 degrees, at night about 9-14.

My plants germinated 14 months ago and after 13 months the biggest plants started to flower.

@Fernando, many thanks for the kind words.

And many thanks for your tip concerning hybridisations with this species, next time i will try it with them after they are the closest "relatives".

This time i tried it with D. camporupestris but only a very small amount of seed was produced so hopefully it has worked.

In Jonanthan´s field report he showed also some pictures of the very hairy D. tomentosa var. tomentosa, do they occur sympatrically?

Good to hear that soon it will have a name.

Best regards,

Dani

P.S.: comparison between D. villosa and D. spec. "Bahia" (not my best pictures)

P1250712a.jpg

P1250715a.jpg

Edited by Daniel O.

In Jonanthan´s field report he showed also some pictures of the very hairy D. tomentosa var. tomentosa, do they occur sympatrically?

The really hairy D.tomentosa var.tomentosa is the dominant Drosera at the Chapada Diamantina.

I'm not sure I saw it growing sympatrically with D.sp.Bahia though... Possibly at one or two locations.

Good luck with your hybrids!

Fernando

P.S. BTW, beautiful D.villosa!!

Thanks, also for the information.

Yes, the D. villosa is really a monster.

BTW, have you noticed the small number of hairs on the emerging flower stalk in the 4th picture. The other flowering plant had not had a single hair.

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

here is an update.

From the big number of plants only 2 plants flowered this season (BTW, the biggest has not flowered), the others for sure will flower next year.

Till now i cannot see any differences in the growth rate depending on the substrate, both substrates work.

Meanwhile the biggest plant is about 8cm in diameter (last time i showed pictures it has been 5cm in diameter) and it began to form a stem, but of course it´s much smaller than D. villosa.

If grown in full light the plants achieve a deeply red colouration as you can see in the pictures below. Even plants that grow under a relatively low light level are slightly reddish.

And here are the pictures.

P1300932a.jpg

P1300918a.jpg

P1300922a.jpg

P1300949a.jpg

P1300953a.jpg

P1300974a.jpg

P1300975a.jpg

P1300929a.jpg

P1300978a.jpg

Best regards,

Dani