Spray misting or hydrofogger

Cant decide which to go for, i want it mostly for cooling and secondly to raise humidity, i allready have a water line into the greenhouse but which works the best/most reliable?

Edited by manders

Cant decide which to go for, i want it mostly for cooling and secondly to raise humidity, i allready have a water line into the greenhouse but which works the best/most reliable?

Hi manders,

Whilst I can't say I'm an expert in this area, I can share with you what I have researched just earlier today about similar options to raise humidity...

Hydrofoggers/ultrasonic foggers will guarantee the fog output contains extremely fine droplet sizes and thus quickly saturate the air and raise humidity levels.

Misting can also achieve small droplet sizes but it is solely down to the output nozzle - you will have to make sure you use one that specifies it is for creating very tiny droplets of water.

I am currently mist spraying all my plants in the mornings to increase humidity around the plants themselves, however the whole greenhouse is still quite 'dry' in relative humidity. I need to explore options to increase RH!

Hope that helps somewhat. I'm sure someone with experience will be along shortly to offer more advice!

@manders, did they give you a price? I think I've dealt with them in the past, for a company I worked for.

Plastic msting nozzles are a cheap a few pounds or less, metal impingement nozzles around 30£ ish. Really fancy trying at least one impingement nozzle if i go this route and a few plastic ones and see what works. Not sure i have enough water pressure for some types.

I had a similar dilema a few years ago and went for this:

http://shop.pollywog.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/5_27/products_id/164

It's good value for money and coupled with a plug-timer in a water proof box, works well in my Nep house.

This system draws water from a water butt inside my greenhouse. The directional jets are easily fitted to a greenhouse frame and the pipework sits neatly in the aluminium channels :-)

The only downside is that it's a little noisy, so I don't set the timer for unsociable hours!

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Mark

I started off using spray nozzles, you can mount them in front of a fast fan but you need good pressure to get a fine mist, the Dan fogger nozzles are ok (LBS @ Coln) or try Mastermind (they can be found at the RHS shows like Tatton) they do a good pump and all the bits you need.

The only thing is they just don't seem to put that much Humidity into the atmosphere as you might expect, they just soak everything, unless the temps are high enough to burn it off.

One product I have found but not tried is a little 12v powered fogging nozzle I saw on ebay...........I'll try to find it and let you know, so if you fancy a bit of R n D this would be a great one to try.

When you have finished messing about with these various nozzles, you will eventually succumb to the charms of the siren known as HYDROFOGGER and wonder why ever you thought there was an alternative!!

These babies can put humidity into a cold greenhouse, or target cool a particular Ultra Highland plant without drowning it.

I saw one for £150 just the other day!

Today i got some 'superfine nozzles' from mastermind in the post, rigged two up temporarily, did a reasonable job of dropping the temperature but didnt do much for the humdity as Dicon mentioned. Might put them in permanently for holiday watering purposes and keeping the temperature under control in hot weather (been pushing 40C recently, and 20% humdity). If i use them too much im going to have to change my potting media to something more open and that drains faster (coir chunks maybe).

Hydrofogger looks like it might be on the shopping list though. :flag_of_truce: The only other thing i fancy trying is an impingement nozzle which should give a finer mist than the 'superfine nozzles'.

Edited by manders