Newbie cephalotus grower

Mark Anderson

Hi carni grower,

You can add some distilled or purified water but I have found it is not necessary as the pitchers will replenish their fluid naturally over a period of time.

I would not transplant the Ceph for several months just to give it time to acclimate to its new environment.

Regards,

Cephman

The biggest mistake that some growers make with Cephalotus is to fuss over them. Just make sure that it gets good light, the soil doesn't dry out and that it doesn't get too cold. I've read a few stories of growers killing Cephalotus because they wanted to repot it in one of the complex mixes. Basically, if it's growing happily in whatever Matthew has potted it in then I would leave it in that.

Yes it is very happy in the medium it is potted in but i was on about the sheet moss growing naturally on the surface. All your advice is very sound and i shall leave as is with moss, i was just worried about what i had read about keeping growth points unobstructed because of rot. and should i keep it in my small naturally lit highland nepenthes terrarium, or a humid nw or se windowsill.

Thanks all for the help. i've trimmed the moss after matthew advised me that it would be a good idea as the moss grows quicker than the plant. i'll upload some pics once i work out how to do it with my mobile, no computer so i have to do all internet stuff on my mobile, sucks big time.

I would choose sunny windowsill and low humidity place. :smile:

Just understand that any drastic change carries risks. *If* the plant was originally growing in a humid, moderate-light terrarium, placing it in a low-humidity, south window can put it into extreme shock (possibly death).

Just understand that any drastic change carries risks. *If* the plant was originally growing in a humid, moderate-light terrarium, placing it in a low-humidity, south window can put it into extreme shock (possibly death).

Many things are possible but u never know until u try.

Cephs aren't so sensitive and they are very easy to grow. Many things writen in the net in the forums thread are just urban legends scaring the people.

Was it better to advice him to keep his plant in high humiduty and then to read in this thread that the plant has mold or fungus in it when this guy is new grower?

Edited by dimitar
  • Like 1

i've decided to put it in an east facing window in a little ikea terrarium at 70 to 80% rh with lots of air flow, would this be ok?

Cephs adapt easely in different growing conditions if u make it slowly and step by step, not at once. Just have in mind that the high humidity encourages many fungal problems, mildew, spots and etc....so u must have good air flow always and very good light. I recomend some hours direct sun in a day.

How should i remove dead pitchers, should i cut or pull and if i should cut them off how close to the growth point should i cut and what should i doif i can't see the growth point?

Cut all the dead parts of the plant when u see them as much as close to the base of the growth.

and what should i doif i can't see the growth point?

There u see...

Good luck!

• Like 1

Cephs adapt easely in different growing conditions if u make it slowly and step by step, not at once. Just have in mind that the high humidity encourages many fungal problems, mildew, spots and etc....so u must have good air flow always and very good light. I recomend some hours direct sun in a day.

Cut all the dead parts of the plant when u see them as much as close to the base of the growth.

There u see...

Good luck!

Thankyou again dimitar, my east facing window gets at least 2 hours of sun in the morning at the moment so hopefully that will do.