Getting rid of algae in standing water

So when I used to cultivate CPs a few years ago, I had a problem with algae gumming up the water. I mentioned it on here, and one member very kindly sent me some of this water plant which floated on the water and somehow meant no algae could grow. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, it sounded similar to "Salvia" I think (except obviously it wasn't actually Salvia!).

Does anyone else use this stuff/know what its called? Even better, does anyone know where I might be able to get some?

I hope I've posted this in the right place, mods!

Cheers!

Hello,

I'm pretty sure that the plant you mean is a Salvinia species, this is a sort of floating fern. Especially Salvinia natans is a easy to grow plant that you should get in most aquarium-supply stores, maybe also in some garden-markets. The plant may help if there are too much nutrients in the water that causes algae to grow, but Salvinia also can easily overgrow other plants, in some countries (like Australia) this is a invasive weed.

Another plant that could be used is Pistia stratiotes (water lettuce). I hope I could help you a bit.

Best Regards

Markus

Amazing guys, thank you. I googled Salvinia and that's exactly what they were! As luck would have it, there are some living in a puddle near me which I'll comandeer a sample of soon :)

Cheers!

really, you sure they are Salvinia growing outside? they are tropicak plants and need a fair temperature to do well.....

Can Azolla filiculoides (also a water fern) be used for the same purpose, does anyone know?

Yes it can, basically anything that covers the surface, excludes light and absorbs nutrients will do the trick, but like duckweed it can get to be a pain in the ass

Cheers

steve

• 3 weeks later...

I have Riccia, which is a common aquarium plant, and U. gibba in a water tray on a bright windowsill and the water never gets algae. I think it's possibly due to these soaking up the nutrients.

I've been growing U. gibba & Aldrovanda together in a 10 gallong fishtank, outside, on our porch for the past 2 years. There's plent of direct sun and algae has not been an issue. That might be because the U. gibba is so pervasive and possibly I give them plants bog water, which does have snails. Whatever the dynamics, algae hasn't been a problem.

Picture001-25.jpg

Picture003-22.jpg

Edited by jimscott