My Lithops

VFTLance <3

Evening Marc,

the hardiness is different from species to species as far as I know. Some can take light frosts - down to -5°C I believe. Not sure if there is a species that can take even stronger frost. Lithops gracilidelineata is one of the hardiest as it is the one growing in the highest elevations. L. gracilidelineata ssp. brandbergensis up to 2450 m asl. in the Brandberg massif in Namibia (according to Desmond Cole). So far -1°C is the coldest temperature I have tested on my plants on the balcony. I´d state 0°C doesn´t harm any Lithops as long as it is for a brief period. However I think it was Matthias Uhlig from Uhlig Kakteen in Germany who told me most species don´t tolerate extended periods of temperatures lower than 3°C.

Ah...here´s the mail from Matthias Uhlig:

Translation: Only the montane forms like L. karasmontana tolerate coldness down to approx. -5°C. In general I´d say (don´t keep Lithops) colder than +3°C.

I guess Uwe Beyer from Cono´s Paradise would disagree a little.

My device is always: Never risk too much in cultivation! :wink:

Regards

Andreas

Thanks Andreas!

Maybe ill get a photo of my mothers one, i'm wondering if it was in the unheated greenhouse the year we had the really cold temps, maybe ill get a photo next time im over there and get one of you guys to id it, out if interest.

Thats what i'm wondering, my parents cacti's etc have allways been outside in an unheated coldframe, certainly were this year cant remember what our minimums were this year, not sure what they did with them two years ago when we had the -10C, ill check :D.