My Lithops

VFTLance <3

Hi guys, just a little question i have, has anyone ever had a Lithops that has changed colour during the growing season, and i don't mean had new leaves come through that are a different colour i mean like actually go from one colour to another???

This is what it looks like now, 19.02.12

DSCF8311.jpg

This is what it looked like when i bought it, 23.05.12

DSCF5428.jpg

It is the same plant believe it or not =D no idea how it went from very brown to rather green, feel free to post suggestions

Edited by VFTLance <3

I've grown some Lithops, and more than often failed miserably with them. Currently I have 1 plant remaining, but I think it's gonna rot away like all of them before that. :rolleyes:

The colour change (dark brown to green) might be because of lack of light, or maybe just because of the new growth season it has just started.

By the way, don't you think you should change it away from the peat to a more sandy mix? I'm no expert, but aren't they gonna rot in peat?

I've grown some Lithops, and more than often failed miserably with them. Currently I have 1 plant remaining, but I think it's gonna rot away like all of them before that. :rolleyes:

The colour change (dark brown to green) might be because of lack of light, or maybe just because of the new growth season it has just started.

By the way, don't you think you should change it away from the peat to a more sandy mix? I'm no expert, but aren't they gonna rot in peat?

I had another which i accidentally fried in my conservatory on a very hot day almost lost some CPs with it but i managed to rescue them, i thought it may have been lack of light also seeing as we are just coming out of winter here, ill just have to see if it goes brown again in the summer =P

Its in peat? i thought it was in cacti soil, i have no idea but it doesnt seem to mind it whatever its in, hehe its been growing really well and i can see the new leaves inside it ive had it almost a year. ive had experience with sand mixes with my CPs and i dont think sand suits my growing conditions very well, living in the UK it gets very wet and bogged down and just seems way to heavy a mix, i use pre mixed soil that i buy from a local garden centre and my plants seem to love it especially my Purps, i only repotted one last spring/summer and it had already out grown its pot again by december =P

Oh, if it's cactus soil I guess it's ok. Looked like peat. :whistling: If it's already 1 year old I guess it's happy in that soil. But yeah, sounds like you know what you're doing, so don't listen to me. :yes: If you have more species I'd love to see photos of them. Have you been able to flower any?

Oh, if it's cactus soil I guess it's ok. Looked like peat. :whistling: If it's already 1 year old I guess it's happy in that soil. But yeah, sounds like you know what you're doing, so don't listen to me. :yes: If you have more species I'd love to see photos of them. Have you been able to flower any?

Hehe i does look a little like peat, now Nick mentions it....hmmm. hehe im just sort of going with it and seeing what happens really all i know is not to over water them let them dry out a lot so i don't really have much knowledge of them really hehe. I only have the one now unfortunately but i am going to be buying lots more this year so i will post lots of pictures of them =D nope havent managed to get it to flower yet hopefully it will this year will have to wait and see =P

I only grow one Lithop and this skin shedding shows a completely different colour. I use a very open mix, consisting of crushed hydroleca, diatomaceous earth based cat litter, grit and a little peat/loam based compost.

Ah239.jpg

I only grow one Lithop and this skin shedding shows a completely different colour. I use a very open mix, consisting of crushed hydroleca, diatomaceous earth based cat litter, grit and a little peat/loam based compost.

Ah239.jpg

oooh thats lovely what type is it?? hehe yeah mines just got the leaves starting to show on the inside so this is its first shedding since ive had it hence why i was a little confused by the colour change in its current leaves, the new leaves inside also look green so i guess that it may just stay green now =)

Light levels and age both play a part in the colour they take on. Don't water the plant until the new 'leaves' have replaced the old ones .....this may not be until late spring early summer in the UK and then water them and let them dry out before watering again. Each 'head' should only have one set of living leaves.

Light levels and age both play a part in the colour they take on. Don't water the plant until the new 'leaves' have replaced the old ones .....this may not be until late spring early summer in the UK and then water them and let them dry out before watering again. Each 'head' should only have one set of living leaves.

Oki cool thanks for the advice =D

Don't water the plant until the new 'leaves' have replaced the old ones .....this may not be until late spring early summer in the UK

I did this last year and the new leaves never appeared, but within days of eventually watering it the old leaves split apart and the new ones emerged.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, little update =P My Lithops is doing great, i can see the new leaves inside it very well now and it looks like its about ready to split open =D can't wait to see what they properly look like hehe =D

My Lithops as it looks now, photo taken on 28.03.12

DSCF8538.jpg

Edited by VFTLance <3

• 2 months later...

Hello ,i grow lithops for some 15 years now ,i still have more then 2000 of them ,the plant you show got to match water and to lesser light ,it s is changed his leaves whitout drying out first.It s not the good treatment and plant go dead on this way.

First groundmix,i used 1 part loam ,1 part sand ,1 part spagnum peat,1 part little stones (3 to 6mm )and you can add some perliet to.

Water ,i give only 2 a 3 times water on a year,when i water i used the tray methode and give water till the are very wet,you can mist them every morning when the weather is good.i water mostly in spring and add some insecticide for preventie,you may add some fertilizer to if you want she grow a bit faster,second watergift depends on the weather ,if it s a cool wet summer ,i not water in summer ,els i water after a very hot periode, then i give water for last time in october whit insecticide again ,if you got mealybugs on your plants is not so healty for them,i never see red spider on them.

In winter not a drup water,from october till end of mars,temps in winter arround 5°

This are very hardy plants if you not give to match water ,where it grows in the wild it s allmost never raining ,some times it s not raining for years ,only everyday a few hours mistt a day ,plants can take water by there bodys ,so if the humidity is high then you must not water at all .

Lithops not go dead from to dry ,she only go dead from to match water,this plants need very little care ,to match care for this and you lost for sure and can not hold them alive ,

I hope this helpt a bit for growing this on long term, :wink:

By the way ,this are the easyist plants for hold ,you must only not take care to match for them ,you must them forgot for a while,then no problems.

Cheers Will

Edited by will9
  • Like 2

Guest Andreas Eils

But they don´t die just from being watched, do they? :devious:

After struggling with them for three years now I´d state: It´s almost impossible to keep them indoors! I have tried dozens of different methods - all finally failed. And many of my lost plants died while I´ve ignored them! :nono:

Most important is permanently fresh air and good light for most of the time - hard to provide indoors!

But you (Willy) know I don´t give up too soon. :wink: I´ll have a balcony from next month after I´ve moved and then let´s see if anything changes.... :vinsent:

Regards

Andreas

• 11 months later...
Guest Andreas Eils

Evening Marc,

the hardiness is different from species to species as far as I know. Some can take light frosts - down to -5°C I believe. Not sure if there is a species that can take even stronger frost. Lithops gracilidelineata is one of the hardiest as it is the one growing in the highest elevations. L. gracilidelineata ssp. brandbergensis up to 2450 m asl. in the Brandberg massif in Namibia (according to Desmond Cole). So far -1°C is the coldest temperature I have tested on my plants on the balcony. I´d state 0°C doesn´t harm any Lithops as long as it is for a brief period. However I think it was Matthias Uhlig from Uhlig Kakteen in Germany who told me most species don´t tolerate extended periods of temperatures lower than 3°C.

Ah...here´s the mail from Matthias Uhlig:

Kälte bis ca. -5°C halten nur die Bergformen wie karasmontanan aus. Pauschal würde ich sagen nicht kälter als +3°C

Translation: Only the montane forms like L. karasmontana tolerate coldness down to approx. -5°C. In general I´d say (don´t keep Lithops) colder than +3°C.

I guess Uwe Beyer from Cono´s Paradise would disagree a little.

My device is always: Never risk too much in cultivation! :wink:

Regards

Andreas

Nice to come back to this topic after over a year =D, i will post a pic of my Lithops now as i still have it growing nice and strong indoors along with 9 others =D