Utricularia menziesii in flower

Hello all,

in this season have one of mine U. menziesii 2 flowers formed, which I would show you:

umenziesiiblte1.jpg

umenziesiiblte2.jpg

umenziesiiblte3.jpg

Photographs made by my girlfriend Olivia with a CANON EOS 5D with a macro objective

To answer some questions directly before, I arranged the following information for you:

- i cultivate this species since 2005

- tuber storage:

The tubers are principle excavated over the summer time and kept (like also my other tubers) up to the next growth period bone-dry in a small ziplock-bag. These are stored in a small metal box at room temperature in a cabinet.

Time of potting:

- The tubers will be potted principle in the middle of September (without signs of sprout out) into an easily damp sand peat mixture 1:1 (without standing water!!). They stand outdoors till scarce before the first frost (with rain protection). Then i do it into the greenhouse, where they are will sprayed on the top (also here without signs of sprout out on the top).

- The lighting

As lighting I use 2x 24 watts of energy-saving lamps (Twintubes). But I use no conventional lamps! Mine comes from the photograph range, which are clearly brighter. They correspond according to manufacturer data 380 watts. It is for instance 25cm over my tuber species.

- The watering:

As soon as the first leafs are visible, I begin with easy damming up, which increases then in the next weeks to 2-3cm (with 9x9x10cm pots). Here I let the water level always drop to zero, before I fill up then immediately again.

- The temperatures:

My culture are in the heated greenhouse. Here I cannot affect the temperatures actually. Only the adjusted minimum temperatures of 5-7°C at my thermostate of my recirculating heater. The remainder makes the given weather. If in the winter the sun is shining, it can become during the day quite times 25-30°C, which does not harm the plants. Because it cools down again clearly at night.

- The end of growth period:

This is in my opinion the more difficult part: The leafs of U. menziesii remain during the entire growth period always fleshy green or reddish. As soon in march/april the first 1-2 leafs are yellowish-brownish, this is a safe indication for it that the plant are introduction. And already off here one must react correctly: I take the appropriate pot out of the water. And here attention! If the substrate is too fast drying out, many or no daughter tubers are not formed (for flowers is needed a group with 5-7 tubers). Are the substrate too wet, the tubers putrid! The substrate must be dry out VERY SLOW in a period of 4-5 weeks.

best regards

Tobias

Edited by Tobias Kulig
  • Like 1

such beautiful flowers! and thank you so much for the cultivation tips! my menziesii did not send up flowers this growing season, and this is my first year growing them---you have helped me very much with how to transition them into the dormancy phase. again thank you so much!

Guest Andreas Eils

It´s a very unique and wonderful Utricularia and I would appreciate growing it as well. But I´m afraid I cannot provide the appropriate conditions as long as my situation is difficult anyway. :(

Congrats to your success! Who is Olivia Michalik by the way... ? :laugh: Did you hire her for photographing? ;o)

Regards

Andreas

Hello all,

thanks for the nice radix complements! I showed you the pictures and growing tipps very gladly. And it makes me happy that I unite from you inspired to try it again with this beautiful species.

If you cultivate this species with these instructions, it should be work very well. I make it already for 7 years in such a way, whereby I have my greenhouse only 5 years.

@ Andreas Eils: Olivia is my girlfriend and has an appropriate photo equipment.

best regards

Tobias

It's not only about equipment. The person who take the photo is what matters; and his/her idea which he/she tries to make a real. I do not have to say she's got it all :tu: I am looking forward to more great work done from you both!

Anyway I want to have this species too.........once I'll think I have enough growing skills... So not any time soon :biggrin: Untill then I'll take delight in pictures of yours :smile:

Edited by Miloslav Macháček

Guest Andreas Eils

I wish I had her equipment! :D

Of course you have to know how to use it! :wink: So, Milo is right!

Andreas

Hi,

many thanks for numerous nice feedbacks!

Olivias favourite hobby is photographing and my favourite hobby are CP´s. Here we complement us very much!

Olivia put much of Time (and money) into her equipment and acquired themselves appropriate knowledge. It is here very much committed. She make pics all the time :coffee:

For information: Olivia used following camera: CANON EOS 5D with a macro objective

Best regards

Tobias

Edited by Tobias Kulig

Tobias,

My congratulations for your excellent growing skills & many thanks to Olivia for her skills with photography. As you said - a wonderful combination! Thanks so much for sharing.

One question: do you do any fertilization with these plants?

• 1 year later...

I know it's (a little) over a year ago since the last reply..but i gotta say it.. this is just AWESOME!!..it is (and alway's was) a mindboggeling species for me..and to see it grown so succesfully really make's my heart jump with joy!! :good2:

Thanks very much for the photo's and growing guide Tobias!..you rule man! \m/

• 2 years later...