Help with nepenthes bill bailey

Mark Anderson

I am quite new to growing nepenthes and have just purchased nepenthes bill bailey from hampshire carnivorous plants, it came in excellent condition growing out of its bio dome. I was wondering if anyone could help me with some cultivation info on nepenthes bill bailey, i will be growing it indoors in a south east window with a humidity of 70 to 80%. I keep on finding conflicting info on the web some say its a cross of two highland species and other places say its an intermediate hybrid. So if anyone has any experience in growing this or has some info on light, humidity, temperature and best soil mix. I have shamrock peat, j arthur bowers vermiculite, new zealand sphagnum moss, uk red and green live and dead sphagnum mosses which i grow myself, a little bit of fine orchid bark which has some horticultural charcoal mixed in it, westland surestart perlite. kelkay alpine grit, kelkay grit sand, kelkay fine grade silver sand all of the kelkay products are all horticultural lime free and washed. Are all of these products good for nepenthes and other cps. thankyou

I dont have a bill bailey but have both parents. Lots of perlite, a little peat and 15-25C should be fine, a bit warmer will probably be ok also, both parents are not too picky highlanders, just watch you dont burn it with too much sun if its not used to it.

I have a few of them, I grow them at 5C min in the greenhouse and they are very happy, intermediates would sulk at those temps. I also grow the parents and they are tough too. Seems an easy plant so far, I use perlite/sphag mix but I would not worry too much about the compost.

thats good to know about your experience with temps as i live in scotland, what % of sphagnum to perlite do you use for nepenthes bill bailey? From what i read on the internet n xbill bailey comes from two highland parents, but when i emailed borneo excotics i was informed that it is an intermediate hybrid(they grow it between min night 13c with day max of 25c but it will tolerate temps outside this range). Are there maybe an intermediate form of ventricosa or singalana that they used in this hybrid, as i know there are other species of nepenthes that have different forms at different elevations?

I have a few of them, I grow them at 5C min in the greenhouse and they are very happy, intermediates would sulk at those temps. I also grow the parents and they are tough too. Seems an easy plant so far, I use perlite/sphag mix but I would not worry too much about the compost.

do you chop your lfs up before mixing with perlite, if so what size?

thats good to know about your experience with temps as i live in scotland, what % of sphagnum to perlite do you use for nepenthes bill bailey? From what i read on the internet n xbill bailey comes from two highland parents, but when i emailed borneo excotics i was informed that it is an intermediate hybrid(they grow it between min night 13c with day max of 25c but it will tolerate temps outside this range). Are there maybe an intermediate form of ventricosa or singalana that they used in this hybrid, as i know there are other species of nepenthes that have different forms at different elevations?

13C to 25C are typical highland temps corresponding to plants that grow roughly at 1700 MASL. I wouldnt get too hung up on the temps, if its in a house it will be fine, just dont freeze it or boil it in the sun. Singalana is very tolerant of dry soil as is ventricosa to some extent. Just use a loose free-draining compost and treat like most other houseplants but with low or no fertiliser and youll be fine.

13C to 25C are typical highland temps corresponding to plants that grow roughly at 1700 MASL. I wouldnt get too hung up on the temps, if its in a house it will be fine, just dont freeze it or boil it in the sun. Singalana is very tolerant of dry soil as is ventricosa to some extent. Just use a loose free-draining compost and treat like most other houseplants but with low or no fertiliser and youll be fine.

cheers pal, all your suggestions sound spot on. thankyou for all your help :thumbsup: had a look at your photos, you really are a top grade grower :Laie_71mini: