Which seeds for a beginner?

Sue

I want to have a go at growing Sarracenia from seed but am unsure which would be a good choice for a first timer. I’ve tried to get mine to produce seeds for the last few years but so far I haven’t had any success.

I have a copy of the CPS seed list but it’s all a bit mind boggling. I don’t want to pick rare seeds or seeds which would be more suitable for an experienced CP grower. I would prefer sarracenias which could eventually be grown outside but apart from that I have no preferences. Can anyone offer me any advice on which seeds would be best please?

I'm not a novice at growing from seed, I've just never tried CPs yet.

All Daniel's suggestions are good. In fact any Sarracenia seed, species or hybrid, is easy to germinate providing it is fresh (ie harvested in 2011). Remember also that seed will need stratification. You'll find many different suggestions on stratification here e.g. 6 weeks in the fridge or left out over-winter in the greenhouse. Take your pick, they all work. Mine are already sown in pots on the floor of the greenhouse waiting for spring.

You'll also find many sources of new seed on this forum.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestions.

I have been reading through the post on germinating seeds and found loads of useful information. It has surprised me how simple it sounds or are these famous last words. :biggrin:

Are your seeds actually in water? I was going to wrap mine in damp kitchen paper and put them in the fridge inside a plastic bag.

Your method looks very organised and well labelled. thumbsup2.gif

They are in cold, purified water, in the butter keeper. Butter had to be moved! ~6 weeks later I sow and cover them under fluorescent lighting. ~A couple weeks later they begin germinating. A few weeks after that they look like this:

011-1.jpg

012.jpg

013-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

It is interesting that sarracenia seeds come to no harm being in water for so long, it would kill non sarracenia seeds.

Thanks for the photos, it is good to know what the germinating seeds will look like, I once spent a couple of months nurturing a tray of weeds.

LOL! I've nurtured weeds before! I had no idea...

One thing to consider about what happens in nature, usually, plants are adapted to initiating life when the temps are warmer and the day length is longer and the snow melts / spring rains engulph the seeds, which is the catalyst for germination and sustaining them until their roots can develop and withstand summer drought.